Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike not in use for a month

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Eav, May 27, 2009.

1. Hi guys

I just wonder anyone here have left the bike for at lease a month without running it? any advise what I need to do to avoid any problem when I start it later on?

Thanks heaps

2. I left one of my bikes under a tarp for 5 months and it started fine after that.
  3. Just disconnect the battery.
  4. Yeah but then you lose all of your preset radio stations :p:p
  5. Bloody BMW riders.
  6. Turn off fuel tap.
  7. A month's not going to bother it. Make sure the fuel tap is turned off and disconnect the battery if you want (I wouldn't bother but it can't hurt) and walk away. It might get a bit dusty though... chuck a sheet over it. :)
  8. buy some "start ya bastard" spray and have it handy when you come back
  9. Yeah, he also forgot the settings for the seat warmers, the footpeg warmers, the handgrip warmers and for the summer the aircondish...
  10. I've often left mine unstarted for long periods of time. Never really had any issues.

Of course, if you decide that you want to go for your first post-winter ride, it's a good idea to make sure that she'll start the day before. If the battery's flat, whack it on the charger. Once you get it running, take it to the servo, check the tyre pressures.

Then when you've gotten home, drain the oil, while the engine's still hot, and while it's draining, take a drive to the bike dealer and pick up a filter and oil for it.

Or, book the bike in for a service prior to your post-winter riding.
  11. why bother service the bike (oil change etc) when its been sitting there for a month? if it's been sitting there for a year, maybe...

just fuel tap off, disco the battery or plug in to a trickle charger, cover with a sheet/tarp, and leave it.
  12. Why not? It won't hurt it. And depends on when it was last serviced the oil, particularly in colder months, sitting inactive will eventually become contaminated with moisture. Plus, the acids, byproducts of combustion tend to do their worst when water is introduced into the equation.

It's not an expensive exercise, nor does it take long to do.
  13. Thank you all for the very very useful info, I'm very apreciated for that.

Love this website a lot of kind and helpful people
  14. I'll change that.
  15. Already trying weren't you? :p :grin: