Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike needed a rest

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Mr Messy, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Well just out for a ride and my bike has decided it needs a break. Cruising at 90 and lost engine power.
    Clutched in as I was approaching a busy roundabout to make sure I could get through and she's gone.

Plenty of fuel and electricity left.
    Thoughts? Vapour lock comes to mind...

Tapatalk@DesireHD

2. If it's vapor lock, it should start again if you start it with the fuel cap open.

3. You were right mate, i tried that before you mentioned it and we were away again.
    Thanks though ;) was the right answer!

4. OK so now you need to clear the tank vent.

5. Oddly, the vent is working fine :-s... went out there this morning to give it a once over - was too hot in the sun yesterday to go faffing about with it, the fact it got me home again was enough - stood it up and the vent whistled as its meant to... *shrugs*.
    I know the overflow hose works (not sure if its part of the vent system) as i topped it up a bit much for a run down to wisemans ferry and out it came again :(.

I will check it out a little more thoroughly though! ;)

6. fuel filter blockage? Even partial in conjunction with the heat.

7. Could be, i couldnt find anything more with the cap. Ill keep hunting for the problem.
    As for the filter, I have a gravity fed car filter rather then the useless little white plastic screen that was in there. I havent checked it yet (have to lift up the tank).