Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike needed a rest

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Mr Messy, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Well just out for a ride and my bike has decided it needs a break. Cruising at 90 and lost engine power.
    Clutched in as I was approaching a busy roundabout to make sure I could get through and she's gone.

Plenty of fuel and electricity left.
    Thoughts? Vapour lock comes to mind...

2. If it's vapor lock, it should start again if you start it with the fuel cap open.
  3. You were right mate, i tried that before you mentioned it and we were away again.
    Thanks though ;) was the right answer!
  4. OK so now you need to clear the tank vent.
  5. Oddly, the vent is working fine :-s... went out there this morning to give it a once over - was too hot in the sun yesterday to go faffing about with it, the fact it got me home again was enough - stood it up and the vent whistled as its meant to... *shrugs*.
    I know the overflow hose works (not sure if its part of the vent system) as i topped it up a bit much for a run down to wisemans ferry and out it came again :(.

I will check it out a little more thoroughly though! ;)
  6. fuel filter blockage? Even partial in conjunction with the heat.
  7. Could be, i couldnt find anything more with the cap. Ill keep hunting for the problem.
    As for the filter, I have a gravity fed car filter rather then the useless little white plastic screen that was in there. I havent checked it yet (have to lift up the tank).