Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike make that (somewhat) retain value

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Aussiespur, Feb 23, 2009.

1. In general terms what manufacture of bike tends to retain some value ?

Basically I'm trying to justify to myself that I should buy a Ducati that I fell in love with at the Brisbane bike show on the weekend ... :grin: I have a Suzuki GSX650F which has been a great reintroduction back to riding but it was always going to be a stepping stone to my next bike. I'm thinking that if I bought the Ducati it would be something that I'd not feel the need to "upgrade" later on .... If it can retain value better that other bikes (ie Japanese makes) then all the better.

I have yet to test ride it so I may be a little premature :oops: but hey it's a talking point !
  2. Ducati wot? :p
  3. Oops ... I'd love to say Ducati 1198R but sadly I don't have $55k. I was looking the Ducati 848. Not too big a jump from my 650cc but still plenty fast (& light at 160kg) to get up & boogie.
  4. My last 2 Ducati's I sold for about the same price as I bought them. I buy them fairly new (not brand new) second hand with very low mileage, look after them. I think they hold there value a lot better than most bikes!
  5. That's encouraging. I'm thinking that this is a bike I could see myself have for many years but the added bonus that it holds value well is just a comforting thought.
  6. you have a 650?

Is it for sale? haha

Tamarasue... I haven't ridden dukes yet. What do they ride like compared to japper v-twins?
  7. Thru town or any city traffic, its like riding a tractor. Coughs, splutters and usually overheats. There is nothing worse. On a twisty country road, its like nothing else. Heaps of usable low down torque and the handling is unbelievable. Note however I'm slightly bias!

My last 3 bikes have been Ducati's and I doubt I'll ever change. Previous bikes were Japanese. I find the Ducati's can be kept for a long time as (if properly maintained) they feel as good as the first day you rode them. I found the Japanese bikes "feel" older every year?
  8. Compare the service costs of a Duc and a Jap bike, multiply by the number of services it'll need in the time/distance you plan on keeping it - then look at the difference in resale ;).
  9. The Ducati is more expensive to service however it needs servicing half as often so it works out to be roughly the same as most bikes.

The 848 is apparently very good in city traffic as well as winding roads. I'll probably take one for a test ride in the next couple of weekends.
  10. fixed :D
  11. I'm not sure what the service cost is for a modern Japanese liter bike, but I don't think a Ducati is that much more. The cost of Ducati service has not gone up much in the past few years.

For my bike, I don't get any change out of a grand on the 10k service, which is all it needs (plus oil change at 5k between services). The newer Ducati's stretch this out to 12k for major and 6k for the oil changes.
  12. a grand....for a 10K service? what did they do in the service? do?
  13. Servicing for the 848 is every 12,000km and costs about $750.
  14. Desmodromic valve gear is not the most straightforward to adjust and maintain. The rest is because they can.
  15. That's with cam belts which are required every 20k (worth $200 a pair). Every "other" 10k service is around the $800 which is mainly fluids and labour.
  16. If you want a Ducati, and you can afford it and everything that goes along with it, then buy it.

The only sort of bike that retains its value is a secondhand one that you pick up real cheap, then don't crash or put any miles on it.

17. Resale wise most bikes are better than most cars.

Some are better some are worse. New ducks don't strike me as being that good. Particularly the dearer ones. I have a feeling the 848 will be more sort after for a few years however.

Japanese bikes are pretty good really. the cutting edge sports bikes (600s are worse than 1000s) and trendy trail bikes are the worst.

Some Hardleys are good, but others are the worst in the market (seen some really cheap grannie-glides lately and road-kings have always been bad). Though "standard" dynas and softails aren't bad.

Also don't kid yourself about keeping it long term. The reality is in a couple of years you will be looking for something else.
  18. phwoar. i thought i was paying through the teeth buying expensive oil and genuine filters
  19. every single bike make will depreciate very little once it has a hundred thousand km on the clock and/or is more than 20 years old.

Aside from weird fetishes (like harleys), every other marque will dump value very quickly as soon as you ride it off the floor.

You can't buy any vehicle and realistically expect a certain trade value unless you have a buyback clause in a contract.

Servicing costs etc don't affect resale value - they only affect how much you spent on the bike. To that end, you'll always be better off with a beater of a bike that you do all your own maintenance on, ride it into the ground and then buy another one.

If you want the ducati, then accept what it will cost to own for a certain period and that figure is just the cost of your hobby/toy etc. Trying to justify an expensive depreciating asset by resale 'value' is pointless - you'll get much more enjoyment out of something you actually want to ride and not having to worry about a paint chip or another 100miles changing the 'value' of the bike.
  20. Have to disagree there. Perceived service costs and part costs go to peoples opinions and calculations as to how much it's going to cost to live with the vehicle. Thus it influences the amount people are willing to pay for it.

We see this quite clearly with European cars. Once they get more than 100,000 on the clock their value plummets.