Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike Maintenance

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by xGibb, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Hi NR,

I just recently bought a used Ninja 250r as my first bike and it's just had it's 6000km service.

As this is my first bike I was just wondering if anyone could provide any advice on the sorts of maintenance I should be doing regularly before it's next service.

2. Do a search, there are plenty of threads on this kind of thing (both what to do and how/when to do it).

Did your bike come with a manual?

Read up on pre-rides checks as well (if you haven't already).
  3. Check tyre pressures weekly/fortnightly
    Lubricate chain every 500 km or so
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Also check chain tension every 1000k or so and probably check the oil level at the same time.

Do you have a paddock stand to do the chain? They make life a lot easier. Need the little spools too.
  5. I haven't bought a rear stand yet but I plan to do that for the chain maintenance. Thanks for the advice guys.
  6. Yeah chain slack, chain lube and checking the oil should be all you need to worry about
  7. An easy way to lube the chain is to buy car gear oil (HD90), put it in an old sauce bottle/mustard bottle etc with the nozzle you can open and close. If the chain is dirty, clean it with kero and a tooth brush (do not use petrol or anything like that as it damages the o rings in the chain), let the chain dry, run the bike in 1st gear for 5 mins or so minutes to let it warm up (whilst on the paddock stand), then slowly drip the oil onto the chain as you turn the rear wheel by hand. You need to lube either side of the chain. Do one side first then the other.

Every 1000kms is fine. That way it is easy to remember when to do it. After your first ride after lubing the chain you will get oil drops under the front and rear sprockets, put some cardboard under those two areas.

Check the chain tension. It should move about 30-40mm from slack to tight. It's easy to adjust if needed, but DO NOT have the chain too tight as it will damage the chain and sprockets. Also rotate the chain and check for tight spots in the chain.

Sounds daunting, but a bit of research and a mate and its pretty easy. If you don't do these simple things you can end up spending money.

As others have said check the net, plenty of good info there. There may also be a forum for Ninja's which means you can call on people with the same bike as yourself.
  8. Thanks for the great advice Bandit.
  9. other than consumables (tyres/brake pads/chain + sprockets/ sparkplugs) and bleeding the brakes

you will need change the oil when it starts to degrade, drop the oil and put in good fresh oil and a new oil filter.

check out the service manual online/at the library/buy one from the dealership and it will detail all your maintenance and how to do it properly.

other than that you won't need a service until 40-60,000 when you need adjust the valves and get new sparkplugs

no no no, clean the chain with $2 degreaser, spray on, hose off
    go for a short ride to dry the chain, then spray on 'maxima chain wax'
    which go's on as liquid but sets as wax.
    -then check the tension
    oil sprays everywhere and so do all the other 'chain lubes'
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Another thing to consider as a maintenance item, is to wash the bike regularly, and to coat bike afterwards with a silicone spray or WD spray. Corrosion can really de-value a bike, and if on fork tubes can cause fork seals to leak. Also may help protect plastic parts from fade, becoming brittle & cracking from sunlight & age.

Be aware however of getting these sprays on your brake discs.
  11. Would something like ArmourAll be OK for the plastic bits to keep/bring back the shine?
  12. Depends which Armorall product you're referring to, go for the original protectant which is good on those black plastic bits. Brings up shine and helps stop fading. Don't get it on seat or tyres though.
  13. Haha. Yes, I had a mate once who blackened his tyres with it once. Didn't end well. :)
  14. If bike is under warranty, leave servicing to the shop.

If not, get a workshop manual and have a go yourself.
    Not to much in a basic service that you can't do yourself, with limited knowledge.
    Check youtube & google for tips.
    You live in Sydney, so l am sure you could get a hand.

Chains & tyre pressures are easy to do.

Re: cleaning, l use 'tyre shine' from supercheap auto (blue can) on plastics & my helmet (avoid the visor).
    I have always used 'Mr Sheen' on metal tanks etc..
  15. <other than that you won't need a service until 40-60,000 when you need adjust the valves and get new sparkplugs>

Not good advice. According to Kawasaki, valves and spark plugs on a 250R will be due every 12,000km. Overlook valve services at your peril, and learn to do as much of the service yourself as you can, to save money. Change the oil when the book says, unless you use the bike very little, then do it by time intervals. Download the schedule here: http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/sh...-1634&lang_code=EN&code=&nickname=&modelyear=
  16. #16 twistngo, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    Something like Motul wash & Wax is good for a quick clean and getting the dead bugs off. Keeps it nice and shiny without too much effort. Then the occasional hose down and soap etc.

PS I like the Motul factory line chain lube.
  17. Yes, any product that is designed to revitalise plastics should be ok. I'm not sure how well they would work on all the hard parts though, such as engine, forks, wheels etc. I personally like the Motul shine & go, really works well on everything, but a bit expensive. There are lots of products out there that will do the job. Some work better than others, some last longer, some are cheaper. But ultimately, any time spent cleaning & protecting is good for the bike.
  18. Thanks for all the great advice everyone :)
  19. Hi, I have a ZX6RR (Kwaka), 2003. It is a great bike but has 75,000kms so was thinking of upgrading; I recently saw a Triumph Daytona 675 for sale, has just over 5000kms - I want it but...

I ride a heap of kms every weeks (500) so can anyone tell me if there is much difference between the servicing requirements/costs of these bikes? currently I service my own bike, and have even done the valve spacing but it's not a fun job. So if the trumpy is simpler to service that will make the $ less painful to spend!