Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike maintenance and mechanics

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by geckom, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Hey guys,
    Have had a little CBF250 since about February and have been getting into motorcycles in a big way. I have looked around Brisbane and I cannot find any courses or ways to learn about motorcycle mechanics.

I have gotten the basics down like oil change, lube chain, change air filter etc. But now am stuck on where to learn more.

I would like to one day be able to do all the work I need on my bike by myself.

Where can I learn more about this in Brisbane?

2. They are hard to come by.
    The people you want to teach it wont because that's their income.
    Just between you and I. I would go around the bike shops offering your time. Tell them you will sweep the floors or whatever.
    That way you can help out, get your hands dirty and see how it's done first hand.
    It will cost you to do a course anyway.

3. Years ago Gateway campus of TAFE had a motorcycle maintenance course but it's been a LONG time and i can't recall what depth it went into.

I do know that they could not offer any "fix" for the spaghetti like hinged chassis typical of UJM's (and other bikes) of the time.....

4. I'd be happy enough paying for a course. But I cannot find one in Brisbane. Only one maintenance course that shows you how to do everything I can do at the moment (which isn't much.

If you know of a course please post a link.

5.  Top
  6. Kinda looks like this is the study part of an apprenticeship?

7. Spend ya $$ on a workshop manual, and an old bike to "fix", the old cb250's are as cheap as.... (well as cheap as something really cheap) and are easy to work on. Even an old dirtbike, like an XR something is a great way to learn.

You learn a lot by doing, that how we learnt in the old days - wait till it broke then figure out how to fix it.
    There is plenty of help around these days, youtube and various forums are willing to help you learn if you get into trouble.

8. Agree with sbk. You can only learn by making mistakes. Even the mechanics learn that way, the tafe course is only supplementary to the pulling bikes apart and fixing them.

Buy a cheap common bike and fix its issues. You can learn and if you make a mistake and need to get a part from the wreckers it doesn't mean your transport is off the road. If you buy something and not make too many mistakes you might even break even.

You want something common so you can get second hand parts. XR or most of the other air cooled singles are good buying.