Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike L's @ 16yrs old.....

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Alison1474, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I'd like your opinions please.

My son is very interested in getting his bike L's when he turns 16 next year. Do you think he should hold off for a year or 2 and get his car license first to get used to the roads etc or would he be ok to go straight onto a bike ?????

2. I think it's still 16 years and 9 months before you can get your bike license - get him in the car on his 16th and make sure he gets 9 months of roadcraft into him...
  3. I think its 16 and 9 months to get a bike learners.

At the end of the day you are the best person to answer the question. You know your son better than anyone else.

Our eldest son couldn't wait to get his bike licence when he was 17. I had no problems with him getting it, but we live in the country. It may have been different if he'd been learning in city.

On the other hand our youngest son doesn't want a bike licence yet (goes for his car L's on Saturday), he wants to wait until he's been driving a while.

But from my point of view I would be happier for the youngest to get his bike licence than I was when our eldest got his. Brett (youngest) is a bit more sensible than Kris (eldest).
  4. Yep it's all about the individual kid and there temprament, Ours is the opposite way around to micks, the eldest doesn't really have a desire for a bike licence but is the calmest, The youngest is champing at the bit to get his licence but i wouldn't want him getting it straight away because he already believes he knows everything from his rides as a pillion
  5. you nsw'ers are lucky, got to wait till 18 to get your bike L's in VIC
  6. I reckon let him get his bike licence as soon as he can if thats what he wants.

Experience is everything, so the sooner he starts to experience riding on the road, let him do it.

And I think it is still 17y / 9months for learners in Vic, dunno about the other states tho.
  7. Thanks heaps....

I don't doubt him (well not too much... hehehe) but I'm just being a typical Mum and worried about every other idiot on the road taking him out.

Actually, I'm probably also freaking out that I'm old enough for my baby to be nearly able to get his license !!!!!
  8. Much easier to make that call when it's not your own kid.
    He will love it. You will worry.
    Mine aren't at that age yet thank god. But they can already ride ok. And drive a bit. Well the fifteen y/o is pretty good. Both are girls, so it's been harder to get them to take it seriously or push them to a higher level.
    So mostly all I will be worrying about is the other guy, the smidsy or red light runner.
    I truly suggest his next few xmas and b/day pressies are riding lessons. For your peace of mind.
    We have to let them leap form the nest some time. How they do that should be up to them.
    Like when they have that skanky girlfriend you just cant figure out. You cant say they cant have that. You just have to be there to pick up the pieces when the shoite hits the fan.
  9. That's a hard one. Temperament and attitude towards a bike are the most important things. He needs to be aware of his limitations, and the bikes. Most kids his age don't realise the difference in consequence between a push bike whoops and a motorcycle whoops and as a result they tend to be less respectful of the dangers involved. A real rider will tell you that motorcycling is dangerous, like air travel or walking into a bikers bar in a rainbow coloured, wide lapel shirt (not that I've done the latter). I wouldn't say yeah go for it or not. All I would suggest is that you have a frank discussion with him about what a calculated risk is. Make sure he knows what he's getting into. Bikes are less visible on the roads, more susceptible to poor road conditions, and more (yes, I hate the statistic mongers) likely to be injured in an accident than a car driver. You can't make him any safer than an other motorcyclist but you can make sure that he is the one in control of his own safety.

I doubt that any of will help but at least I gave you my opinion that you asked for.

Good luck with it all and if he gets his learners and starts riding tell him that we'll be watching and some of us don't tolerate idiots who give us a bad name so he better ride sensibly.

10. A car would probably be better to start off with, I got a bike before I got a car, but never ended up getting my license for it. I sold the bike, and 5 years on I think it was a good decision to get a car license first, it puts you in a safer environment while you're learning how other road users behave and what the risks of being on the road are. I wish I still had my bike, I'll be saving up for another one and I'll get the same one I had last time... can't really have it until I move out of home though, even at 22 my mother won't allow me to have a bike while I'm living under her roof.

She allowed it 5 years ago, even though she didn't really want me to have one. A family friend of ours was killed on his bike at the start of the year but it was because he was doing 120 on a 60 zone. Since then my mother has given me a flat out no to having a bike... I told her I'd get one when I move out and I won't tell her.
  11. That's the thing isn't it. It's not what he's going to do, it's the other idiots on the road.

We looked at it slightly differently. Our thoughts were that on a bike he wouldn't have his d1ckhead mates sitting in the back seat. But like I said, he started in the country, and only after about 12 months of riding did he move to the city. Had we lived in Sydney or Melbourne we may have thought differently.
  12. i was 16 and 9 months when i got mine.. i didnt tell my oldies until i road home from work one day instead of taking the train.. BOY did i get in shyt lol... but now my little virago 250 gave the old man the bug and he now rides with me everywhere... lol
  13. I grew up in south Africa. It's a bit of a rite of passage for boys to get a bike at 16 and their license. Ride to school and back and be hooligans. Trust me, I had plenty of stacks, but they taught me a hell of a lot. Like someone else said, a pushie woopsie is different to a bike woopsie. I learnt very quickly on a bike they not only hurt your body more, but also your wallet.

Even with my misshaps, I'm still ridng and loving every minute of it. My parents probably shouldn't have let me get my license when I was 16, but I was the kind of kid who wouldn't be stopped. It depends on your kid. His personality. But you might not be able to stop him.
  14. Thanks everyone.... I really appreciate your input.

Will keep you updated (y)

15. This.

Obviously it depends on where you live and how often he will be riding, but learning in a car is the safest way to learn about what idiots on the road do.

There are a lot more cars on the roads these days to worry about then there were when you were a kid, and people seem to be getting worse and worse at driving.

Think about it this way, how many P-platers do you see out there driving like idiots and making dumb mistakes? Just because he is your own doesn't make him an angel, the same way all those p-platers out there have parents who think they are angels when they are far from it.

I'm sure he isn't a crazed lunatic, but we were all his age once and we all took risks after becoming relatively confident with ourselves. This doesn't change. Kids will be kids.

Get the licence, but teach him to drive in a car first before letting him on the bike on his own. He may be impatient, but in the grand scheme of things waiting a little longer to learn simple road craft is nothing compared to the worst case.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Has he ever ridden a bike before? Has he ever driven a car before?

When I got my bike licence I had been riding dirt bikes for 10+ years and even then I was 20. I was comfortable with my ability to handle the bike and I knew the road rules, but its that truck cutting you off because he wants in your lane, or the SMIDSY late for work in peak hour traffic. When I got my car licence I knew how to handle the car just needed to learn the road rules.

I was quite comfortable with the stages in learning but that is just me. Someone else may be more confident in getting a bike licence first, and some may need 10 years driving before thinking about getting on a bike.
  17. There are idiots on the road, no doubt. Just make sure he knows not to be (too much of) one himself...

There are many instances where these 'other idiots' fail to obey right of way rules or see a bike, however in many more cases than we care to admit, some contribution has been made by the rider due to aggressive riding and speeds. This makes it that much more difficult to be seen or have your speed judged accurately by those around you.

I can honestly say from my experience that all of my close calls have been from me doing something less than wise (or legal). My family trusts me out there too, but there is just something about bike that makes you want to go FASTER...
  18. True !!!!!! Thank you all :)
  19. Just get him a postie until he's 18 or something then get him a 250 and learn in the car at the same time.
  20. #20 Shtumpa, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I would not get him a bike untill he had been driving for at least a few years... 16 and a bike is a death sentance .. He does not have the road sense or skills to read the traffic well enough. Simple ... I'm sure i'll get flamed for my comment but thats the truth of it plane and simple !!