Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike Laws in the ACT

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by PilotPete, Apr 6, 2009.

1. I've recently moved to Canberra from Melbourne and have no ideas about the laws on parking and what not, i've had a look around the ACT roads authority website and can't find much so i was hoping someone could help.

2. off topic, why Canberra?
  3. General parking rules for the ACT can be found here and a motorcycle specific brochure is available here.

Don't park on the footpath in the town centers or you'll get booked, like me :cry:
  4. Thanks, kinda sucks though, i prefer VIC's laws.

I moved to canberra after i got out of my the RAAF and my gf transferred to ADFA in canberra and there wasn't much for me in Melbourne, it also gave me the chance to get my bike
  5. Canberra motorcycle parking is sh!thouse, i hope you're not down in Tuggeranong!

Can only park in motorcycle designated spots pretty much, and there aint that many.
  6. Not that I know anything about this, but that's not what it says in the motorcycle specific parking guide linked by nescius (?)
  7. holy cow. i just rode through canberra a couple of days ago. I kept getting weird looks from people whenever i parked on the footpath and didn't think anything of it. :shock:
    maybe my vic plate gave me some kind of immunity. :grin: or else they just thought f_____n tourist! :LOL:
  8. And they say the rules are oppressive here. At least we can park on the foot path. :LOL:
  9. Your topic, why not?
  10. Simple. Politicians. =P
  11. Ah yes, they provide a plastic sleeve!! for you to park in car spots, hardly an alternative. Only really leaves the odd parking spot, as the fine you anywhere else.