Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike knocked over by car - insurance or not?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by VC, Nov 22, 2006.

1. My bike got knocked over while (legally) parked at the shops today by a car that took off without leaving a note. :mad:

However, someone saw it happen and left the car's rego number on my bike.

The damage is standard and minor - scratched bar end, exhaust, and mirror.

On one hand, it's damage that will cost me to bring it back to its previous condition... on the other hand is it worth the hassle and will it affect my insurance rating?

Would you chase this up through insurance or let bygones be bygones?
  2. Ring your insurance company- ask them. Personally if there was a way to get back at the a-hole that tapped my ride I'd go for it, if only to annoy the s.o.b.
    Btw, you didn't ring the cops? The driver left the scene without leaving a note, and that's an offense.
  3. If you can provide the other party's details it will not affect your rating and NCB
  4. f

If you are not at fault and someone can identify the 'guilty' party then it wont affect your rating.
  5. Do you have the witness's telephone number as well as the license plate details?

If not, it'd be pretty hard for the police/insurance company to do anything without an admission of guilt from the hit-and-runner.

Best of luck anyway, I hope the bugger burns.
  6. If you've got a witness you can call on - let your insurance company handle it.

If there's no witness [and no proof that the person with that rego number did it, even though you KNOW they did] then I'd go speak to them, explaining very carefully that I know they hit my bike, and they probably would be happy to pay for the damages unless there was a chance they can get away with it [which is gone now] so unless reparations are made, they can expect some pretty consistent and unpleasant retribution.

All verbal of course, don't wanna go putting threats in writing now - that wold just be silleh!

You sure it's a 3rd party who left the note, and not the person who hit your bike?
  7. They've changed the rules a bit.

If you only get the rgeo number, then the insurance companies have no way of getting the owners details, for privacy reasons. This mean they will consider you at fault and charge excess and you will loose your no claim bonus.

also if the witness didn't leave his/her details, then its not much good.

I'd go to the cops anyway. What they may do is go and have a look at the car and have a talk to the guy and make him get in contact with you and exchange details.

The alternative for him will be a leaving the scene of an accident charge. He doesn't want that and the cops probably don't want to do the paperwork for that either

Keep in mind the repair may cost more than you think, if you want to get it back to normal. Particully the muffler.

so a chat to the cops can't hurt
  8. Yep, only police can get around that privacy stuff.

If there was no other way to track the person down, I'd be putting some dirt on my jeans and jacket, and telling the police I was ON the bike when it was hit, and so it was a hit & run crime [not just a car-park bingle w/out a note].

That'd sure as hell scare the person into coming to the party with cash for repairs.
  9. If you have a rego number, then make a police report, this clown has left the scene of an accident, and that is an offense. If they had been nice enough to hang around and apologise, you may decide to let them off, but as they have hit and run, I would punish them to the full extent. People have to little respect these days, and this is the perfect lesson to teach them why we don't just drive away.

There should be no cost to yourself through your insurance company, the other party will be 100% liable for your excess.
  10. Thanks for the tips.

I mean, it sounds pretty petty on one hand... that's why I'm not sure whether to pursue it. It may be more trouble than it's worth. But the driver shouldn't have taken off without leaving details.

The witness works in the offices above the shops - he wrote down the rego on the back of his business card so I've got his contact details.

And I do want to sell my bike in the new year!! So keeping it in good nick is somewhat important to me.

Will follow it up. Thanks for the heads-up about the rule-change.

Anyone gone ahead with something like this before?
  11. I know we're all telling you this shouldn't cost you anything - but you owe that guy^ a six-pack of beer :grin:
  12. Haha... good call.
  13. You will need to start with a police report, as long as its an independant witness (sounds like it is) and he got the plate and car color right that should be ok, get the incident number for that.

Police are lazy bastards though and will try and talk you out of giving them work, insist on them filing the report regardless of their excuses, and get their name for when you find they "lost" it after you walked out.

Through the police (once/if hes charged) your insurer can then get their details so no excess.
    Will all take a while, but if its no problem to leave with the slight damage then why not.

Anyway your insurance company should have an advice line, so give them a call and get their propper advice :grin:
  14. I've been in your exact position. I called the cops straight away and they arrived on the scene pretty quickly. I gave them the rego number of the car that hit my bike (told them it was me who took down the number - it was actually someone else but I wanted to remove that complication).

They went and contacted the person who hit my bike via the rego details and got them to ring me. I then got the details off her that I needed to include in my insurance claim. The bike was repaired in 6 weeks, I never had to do another thing and it didn't affect my rating because I wasn't at fault.
  15. Honestly, you come up with the most idiotic shit sometimes. If you were joking, where's the smiley? What happens when the Police investigate the now "hit and run" incident? If they find out otherwise, you end up getting a very serious charge. If they track the guy down and he sings his story, they will probably figure out you've been bullshiting them.
  16. There's no way in hell the insurance inspector is going to believe that the minimal damage to the bike as a result from being knocked over, actually came as a result of a coming off due to a hit and run.
  17. All the above +

Under Insurance Law, there is a duty of "good faith". If you lie, they can and will, not only refuse to pay a claim, they will cancell any policy, or if they have paid out, sue to recover the payout + damages and they would win!
    But it doesnt stop there. You know the bit about "disclosure" in all policies? When the next insurer finds out (about the above), they will also refuse cover, and the next and the next....etc....
    Did we mention the fraud (previously referred to as "very serious") charges? Or the false report to police charge?
  18. Hi all,

I had my bike knocked over, whilst parked,
    but the offending party gave insurance details,
    and I got a cheque from their insurer to fix my Blade.

But in the case of no info,
    you need a witness who will put their name to what they saw,

I was a witness to a similar incident,
    2 cars, not a bike and a car,
    but relevent non the less,
    Was a the local corner store,
    I saw a car back out of a driveway of the shop,
    into the other car parked across the street,
    then drove off,
    got the rego of the offending car on my phone,
    the driver had to have known what they had done,
    as the car stalled and had a hard time restarting before taking off down the street,
    waited for the driver of the car that got hit,
    and gave her the details of the offending car,
    and my number.
    A local police officer rang me a while later,
    and asked my version of events,
    which I gave,
    and stated that I would gladly put my name to a statement to the very same.
    The officer stated that they had already sighted the offending car and the white paint mark on it, from the car that it hit,
    just need me to back the story up to charge the driver with leaving the scene of an accident, and prosecute them.

So if you have the witness details, and he will back up the statement,
    you should be sweet,
    Hope it goes well.

19. It never ceases to amaze me how little respect some morons have for other peoples property. What ever happened to doing the right thing just because it was the right thing to do?

I'd definately be makin sure they pay for the damage, hopefully THEIR insurance premium goes up!
  20. "If there was no other way to track the person down..."

Stupid me for implying a course of action might be conditional. Sorry!!!1!eleventy!!

Oh but of course, clearly I am being silly because the police always do their job and are incredibly caring about minor damage on private property in he-said-she-said scenarios. Don't they?
    ... because of course that 35% of surveyed people in a QLD group in a 1995 report who were dissatisfied with police response to vandalism or damage to a motor vehicle because they "didn't do enough, were impolite or not interested, didn't recover the property or apprehend the offender, and failed to keep the respondent informed" - they just have unreasonable expectations, right?

Or the more recent 2004 study which tells us the main reason for dissatisfaction with police action in traffic accidents is that there is "no follow up".

What happens when the police DON'T investigate the vandalism of your vehicle?

I say VC is damn lucky he has a witness he can contact, and a rego number, because I believe if he lacked these things, there is very little that could/would be done.

... and would I stretch the truth so justice is done?

Depends on the situation, but in principle: yes.
    If it will make sure the person in the right doesn't get screwed, and the person who is in the wrong pays for their mistake or maliciousness[and guilt is known beyond reasonable doubt!]; then it's a good thing.