Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike is hard to start and low rev/idle problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Haggismaen, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Hey all, well I finally got paid and picked myself up some new handlebars. However there remains some problems to be fixed before I get back out on the road. This is going to be quite a long post as I want to provide you guys with as much information as possible.

Since my low speed (about 15 Km/h) spill a few weeks ago (well, the only time I have ridden it is the 200Ks home from the scene of the crime) my VTR250 has developed a few problems. The first of which is that it is proving more difficult to start than before the spill (started fine all the time with a bit of choke).

There is enough fuel (and the fuel tap is in the right position), I assume the battery is OK. Most of the time when I press the ignition button it turns over, sounds like it is almost about to start but doesn't quite make it (tried it with the choke lever in various positions, no joy). However I have found that if I give it a bit of throttle it generally roars to life. So that is the first problem.

The second problem is that once it has started it has a tendecy to just cut out when idling or when the rpms drop (such as when I give it a bit of throttle to help start it, when I release the throttle it cuts out, or sometimes after when I rev it after it has been idling for awhile). Additionally the idling isn't the smoothest sounding now.

Can anybody think of some reasons what would be causing these problems that could've, in turn, be caused by my spill?.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but directly after my spill when I was trying to get the bike up and running again two very friendly riders stopped and helped me out. One of them noticed that this hose was disconnected. Now I had never noticed whether it was connected or not before, so in my complete lack of mechanical knowledge I have no idea whether this is the cause of the above problems. I have taken a few photos to better explain it.

Overall Photo
    Hose 1
    Hose 2

Those nozzle type thingies are the only things I can see where it would go. There are two of them there as indicated in the photo, are they both meant to be connected to something? Perhaps a VTR250 owner can run out to their bike and check for me?

Thanks in advance for any help given guys. I'm a complete novice but I can try and provide any more information/photos if needed.
  2. I'm not an expert on VTR plumbing, but the symtons described would certainly be explained by a vaccum leak.

Then again they could be just drain hoses and the carbies may just need a clean after sitting around for a while.

Check out the first option, before you pull the carbies down.
  3. Not sure about the hoses you are talking about, and the photos arent the best and i unfortunately i dont have my bike here to check.

Sounds to me like the idle needs adjusting, there is a plastic knurled knob on the stand side of the bike up near the carby. Give it a twist, your bike should idle at 1300 rpm. Hope this helps.
  4. Thanks for the tip but unfortunately I have tried that, still has the same problems.

I have read a bit about vacuum leaks and the typical symptoms of one does fit with my current problem. However I have no idea how to go about trying to identify if this is actually the problem. Perhaps the best place to start would be trying to identify how and where a vacuum leak could develop as the result of a fall.

I have checked all of the hoses on the bike and none of them look cracked and they all look like they have a correct seal to where they are attached to. Apart from, of course, the hose in the photos. have tried attaching it to both of the nozzles but it does not seem to fix the problem (that isn't to say that it is eliminated from the equation though).
  5. i got your PM !

I've compared your pics with mine, and yes, that big hose has to go somewhere !

The nozzles don't have hoses attached, they are some kind of bleed balancing thingo !

If you want, tomorrow arvo on my way home from work I can drop in and we can compare. Just let me know !
  6. Unfortunately I am heading down to Wollongong tommorow afternoon. Is there anyway you could perhaps take a photo and post it here so I could get some idea as to where it goes Micky? Thank you very much for the offer though.

I have a few other things to try out tommorow (as per someone's tips in an accidental post in another thread). Anyone know how I might get access to the spark plugs (or spark plug leads)?