Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike Insurance?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by gumnut, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Hi guys,

This is now my 3rd question that I've asked, I don't mean to be a pain but all of this is really new to me.

I have just got off the phone from NRMA, I was after insurance for my bike. I've got a 93 kawasaki balius which is an import apparently, and so for that reason they can't offer me insurance. I have just emailed my info through to QBE so will see what they have to say..

Any comments or thoughts are welcome..

2. Give me your bike (for free). You save petrol and insurance!

Problem solved!
  3. RACV insure import no wuckers. AAMI dont. Shannons only inusrre you if you ahve had your license for 300 years and have 3 arms.

QBE get mentioned heaps in these forums...
  4. And as long as you are an 'enthusiasht' who only rides their bike on every second new moon (every 3rd in a leap year).
  5. Depends more on the bike model, not so much the fact it is itself a "grey import"

My across was a "grey import", but as the beasts were also imported by Suzuki, and are almost as common as @rseholes, parts are easier to get and insurance was no hassle.

I think the Balius was never imported by Kawasaki (could be wrong, but never in big numbers) so parts are a big issue, and even bugger all damage becomes a write off.

My personal experience with QBE (still to be resolved :evil: ) tells me not to insure with them again.

Shannons cater for a different group of people, they're historically a "special interest" vehicle insurer, they tend to insure vehicles that are restored, rare, used rarely due to various reasons, machines that are usually not insured by others companies, as the beancounters think the risk is too great.
    Trade off for them is to insure those who don't ride often with reasonable premiums, and "discourage" those who do with masive premiums.

Similar to Johnny Howards implementation of the 30% rebate on health insurance.. hit with a big financial stick if you get health insurance, but you get to give yourself a rebate from your own tax money, or whacked with a farkin huge log if you don't have health insurance or join late.

Shop around, see which insurance actually covers your "demographic" and the one that tries to rip you off the least.

In the end, you may have to settle for 3rd party/property, not comprehensive.
  6. Not to mention it has to be garaged! lol :wink:
  7. Thanks for all of your comments on this. I managed to get full comprehensive insurance coverage from Western QBE. They have covered me for market value which is cool...

I hope I can soon start to answer some questions for others instead of doing all of the asking!

Cheers Jen
  8. https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8894

Also, bike clubs will get you discounts on insurance.

Honda Riders club 10% with Swann via thier own brand of insurance assuming you've got a honda

MRA 14months for the cost of 12 with western QBE last time I looked.

probably plenty of others around.
  9. Yep still 14 months for the price of 12 PLUS 5% discount aswell :)