Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike Insurance Question

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by rothko, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Hi

I have been doing some research into getting my first bike. I have been looking at insurance quotes over the internet and when I get to the question about how long have I been driving, I am not clear on how to answer this.

I have been driving a car for 12yrs. But will only start riding this year. SO what answer do I give?

And do insurance companies take into acount your NCB from driving when calculating your bike insurance?

Hope this made sense.

Brad

2. Yup

Its years on the road so the car license & no claims bonus goes towards your newbie bike insurance.. (Don't think L's/P's count but was only short back then anyway)

Very cool.

Do shop around though cus theres a big difference depending on age/suburbs/driving record & the typical car insurers may sting you so don't forget the western QBE/ insuremyride type guys.

3. Yep I was in the same boat recently.
    Your driving experience definitely goes towards your no claim bonus.
    The only thing to be aware of is that most insurance companies I spoke to have an extra excess.
    e-g - Over 25 but riding less than 2 years
    From what i was told it is only applicable for an at fault accident though and not if your bike gets stolen.

4. Thanks for the replies.
    This makes me very happy, looks like the insurance wont be too nasty then.