Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike inspections for newbie....

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Grunge, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Heya all...

I just wanted to see if anyone knows if there's any service that will help you check out a bike that you wanted to buy, just like the service RACV has to inspect cars and they'd give it an okay.

As most of you may or may not know, me and the g/f are getting our L's in about 3 weeks time (exciting!!!!) and we've only got 1 mate who rides a bike. We saw a deal for a CBR for an urgent sale (seller's moving overseas soon) but our mate can't view the bike with us until next Sunday.

We'd like to see it as soon as possible as it's going for what I consider mega cheap for what those CBR250's go for, and we'd hate to lose a good bargain, being that we can't even "test ride" the thing to know if it's any good, much less know what to look for in a bike!

Can anyone point us in the right direction?
    Thanks for any help in advance, y'all!! (^_^)
  2. Give this a very good read.

Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

edit: ROFLOL... i didn't realise it was actually the same text as Seany linked above! Anyway, atleast it's been properly referenced and acknowledged it. Kudos to Netrider.

If you can remember to check all the things in this guide you can't go 'too' far wrong on buying a used bike. There is always the recommendation to pay a trusted mechanic for his/her time and take them along for a proper bike inspection. There's a few people on this forum that do it, but if you'd like some contact details PM me and i'll pass them along.
  3. PM sent dude! :]

Also I heard that Peter Stevens does this inspections, does anyone have any experience with this?

4. Opps... thanks Vic... Sorry, I'm a little lazy.. (*^_^*)
  5. I do prepuchese inspections... almost any where in Melbourne $50...

Been fxing bikes for the past 10years or so... been doing prepurchese inspections for the past 5 years...
  6. lordtb, kewl!! Thanx for the heads up. Unfortunately the bike already sold but I'll keep you in mind if I see another bike I want!!!
    Thanx again dude! :]
  7. <icy cold voice> Don't even think about it.</icy cold voice>