Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

bike inspection - compliance plate??

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by tremontimark23, Jul 17, 2009.

  1. This post will probably get moved...but here it goes.

    I bought a bike Leimoto 90cc pit bike, now it doesn't have a compliance plate for road registration, is there anyway I can get a mechanic to look at it and give it a plate? I first will have to buy mirrors, horn, inductors, speedo and fuel gauge, which all of these items are pretty cheap to buy. The way I see it is if you can register a z50 you would most definitely be able to register this bike.

    thanks in advance
    p.s I'm in NSW

  2. If the bike was never sold for the intention to be road registered you're going to find it extremely difficult to register it.
    I would of thought the registration process would be similar to imported vehicles, where it would need to be on approved list of vehicles and then had to be checked out by an engineer.
    I don't think anybody has done it because there's too many hoops to jump through. Also pit bikes are bit crap on the street.

    Z50s are easier to register because they probably once sold as a registerable bike with a compliance plate. (hard to believe I know).
  3. the long answer is, You Cant. If it wasn't sold as an ADR (australia design rules) approved model, it would be HUGELY expensive process going through engineers, regulators, etc...... IF it is at all remotely possible PLUS there is issues with emissions compliance where you would have to pay to have it all tested, etc........ That bike would be similar to many cars you see for sale "for race/rally use only" ie they are not complianced. If it was simple, people would just go down to their local mechanic and get i done. Without an Australian Compliance Plate..... You Cant Register it.

    As far as im aware, there was Z50 models sold as a registered ADR approved/complianced model in the 80's/90's hence why there are registered ones around.
  4. I register brand new bikes every day......
    the only way a bike can be registered in OZ is if it has an approval number from DOTARS. Dotars then issues the manufacturer/importer with the right to fit compliance plates to approved vehicle models.

    Recently, a well known company(importer) that I deal with on a daily basis, underwent a name change. Even though it is the same company, the new name can not be used on compliance plates or registration details due to the fact the same model of bike has been approved/complianced under a different company name. For this company to change the details of the model name on the compliance plates or registration data base, it must pay to have all of the models previously complianced under the old company name to undergo another round of testing/scrutineering under the new company name, at a cost of about $10,000.00 per model... just for a name change. Hence why most bolwell/sym scooters are registered as Bolwell when they are actually SYM.

    Taken from the DOTARS website


    Vehicle Certification in Australia

    Before a road vehicle can be registered for the first time in Australia it must comply with the Federal Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989. This applies to new and used imported vehicles and locally manufactured vehicles. The Motor Vehicle Standards Act requires vehicles to meet the national standards covering safety and emission requirements. The national standards are currently the Australian Design Rules (ADRs). When a vehicle has been certified as meeting the ADRs it can be fitted with a compliance plate. The fitment of a compliance plate is mandatory under the Motor Vehicles Standards Act, and it indicates to the registering authority that the vehicle is eligible for registration.
    The process of obtaining approval to fit a Compliance Plate is called vehicle certification. The certification process in Australia is administered by the Vehicle Safety Standards Branch (VSS). Registration and use of vehicles, roadworthiness of vehicles in service, and approval of modifications to vehicles in service, are administered by the various State and Territory registering authorities.

    The Australian vehicle certification system is a type approval system. This means that a vehicle representing the design of that make-model (the "type" of vehicle) is tested to demonstrate compliance with the safety and emissions standard. If the vehicle tested complies then all others of the same design (ie the same "type") will also comply.

    Vehicle Safety Standards does not test vehicles itself for certification purposes. The manufacturer is responsible for ensuring compliance with the ADRs. The Australian certification process allows the vehicle manufacturer ("the licensee") to conduct the tests required by the various ADRs. The manufacturer can conduct those tests wherever is convenient to the manufacturer providing, of course, that the tests are conducted properly. In order to demonstrate compliance with all the applicable ADRs several test vehicles are usually required, especially for passenger cars and light commercials.

    Having conducted all the appropriate tests, the manufacturer must then submit an application for approval to fit Compliance Plates to the particular make/model of vehicle that has been tested. In order to demonstrate to VSS that the testing has been done correctly and that the vehicle passed, the manufacturer is required to submit to VSS key results from the testing process; that is, a summary of the evidence of compliance to the applicable ADRs.

    For some vehicle categories a sample of each of the model variants must also be made available for VSS to inspect. This inspection also satisfies the registration inspection requirements of the States and Territory registration authorities (hence it called Single Uniform Type Inspection or SUTI).

    When VSS is satisfied that the vehicle complies, the Administrator of Vehicle Standards issues a document known as a Compliance Plate Approval. This is the authority to allow the manufacturer to fit compliance plates to vehicles of the specified make/model.

    The information provided by a manufacturer is subject to checking using quality assurance audits of the manufacturing facilities and inspections of the test facilities. Together these ensure that the vehicles (or parts of vehicles) tested were constructed to the production design, that the tests were carried out correctly, that the tests showed that the vehicle (or parts) passed the tests, and that all the vehicles being produced are to the same design. Thus, if the design is known to comply, and all of the production is to the design, then all the vehicles produced also comply.

    Manufacturers who supply limited numbers of vehicles may be able to use the Low Volume Scheme. The low volume scheme caters for manufacturers who supply less than 25 or 100 vehicles per year depending on the category. Vehicles imported into Australia by individuals, or for wrecking, racing etc may be able to use the Imported Vehicles scheme.

    Individually constructed vehicles are not required to be certified. They are administered directly by the State and Territory registering authorities.