Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike Hiring... not a lot of variety out there.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by VFR750 IRYDE, Dec 22, 2009.

1. I'm trying to hire a Sprint ST 1050 for a week (if you have one you'd be willing to hire, see my post under the 'WANTED' topic heading!) and I've been surfing for a few weeks trying to find motorbike hire places in Melbourne.

I've looked at Garners and Aussie Motorcycle Hire (who seem to have almost identical bikes available... one wonders if they are in fact the SAME bikes..?) and theres no Sprint ST (surprising, given how popular they are with the touring set, who I would think would make up the bulk of their customers) and not much else thats inspiring me.

I even took a punt and contacted the Triumph Dealer in Melb to see if they would hire one of their DEMO bikes for a week. Predictably without luck.

Am I missing anything? Surely there are more than 2 bike hire places in Melbourne???

Any suggestions?
  2. I phoned A1 regarding hiring a GSX-R750. Didn't seem very organised. Turns out they no longer have said bike. As such, I wouldn't rely on anything they said on their website. I asked them about a half-day hire of a GSX-R600 and they didn't get back to me.

I have hired a FZ6N from Garners and was very happy except for the non-refunded credit card surcharge for the bond. As far as I know, they ARE Aussie Bike Hire. They used to have a Blackbird for hire, shame they no longer do, I was thinking of hiring it.

Garners have by far the largest fleet. Perhaps we could persuade them via email / phone to add a Sprint ST 1050? I'd definitely hire one for 24 hours.
  3. I saw that hire option at A1 when a mate was checking out a GS500, has anyone actually used it?

I'm curious to know how much of a hard sell you cop when you bring the bike back?
  4. Re: Bike Hiring - My experience.

I once hired a bike from a yamaha dealer in Melbourne's Eastern subburbs many years ago. An FZR 250. Turns out that the front rotors were warped and the steering vibrated slightly under normal braking. Been a young learner, I didn't flag this as a problem and return the bike immediatley.
    Later on that afternoon I got myself into a situation where I had to brake a lot harder (from 50Kph). The bike went into a quasi tank slapper and down it went. Braking a leg and taking my bond.

The lesson here: Give any rental bike a very thorough once over before accepting it. If you don't know that much about bikes, arrange for someone to be there who does. 'Cause you can't carry a pizza to the car on crutches.
  5. Bike hiring people tend to just make money with all the resource that they have and one cannot expect a lot of variety from them, its obvious and I suggest you own one that suits you best.
  6. I popped into Garner's today and spoke to a man named Jason. Decent bloke and was happy to talk bikes. Turns out the Honda Blackbird has been sold because it was rarely hired out. Also, they won't be buying a Triumph Sprint ST because of the difficulty in finding insurance for fully faired hire bikes. Doh!