Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike has wider rear tyre than Manufacturer's specs

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by klau, Apr 10, 2010.

1. hi,

Time to replace my tyres, and the manual for my bike (srv250) gives the following tyre specs:

90/90 18 51s front
    110/90 18 61s rear

My bike however is running a 120/90 tyre on the rear.

Question - I've done 10,000kms since I've had the bike and have become familiar with it in that time. Should I just put another 120/90 on it or go back to what the manufacturer recommends?

2. It's always best to go with what the manufactuer recommends. A change to a slightly narrower rear tyre will make the bike "tip in" to the corner a little more readily.
  3. It can often be related to the availability of certain rubber.

110 eh? That's narrow!
  4. 'Tis only a 250 !
  5. Thanks for the replies, back to the manufacturers recommendations then.

Instead of starting another thread...

- Dunlop GT501 or Bridgestone BT45?
    - Does tyre fitting costs include wheel balancing?

Thanks again,
  6. Can't help with tyre recommendation. Most tyre places will include fitting and balancing in the price. Bear in mind you also have to pay a couple of bucks for the Old Tyre Disposal Levy as well.

I always take the loose wheel to the tyre place. Makes fitting quicker and they appreciate not having to dismount and remount it to the bike.
  7. I've been running a 140 on my GS500 for a bit, manufactor size is 130. A wider tyre can make the handling change for the better, so you might find yourself wanting to go back to the wider tyre after trying the new one.
  8. Ok heres what I've found.. I have a 120 Dunlop Arrowmax on mine which is also meant to be factory 110.

However.. despite being a wider tyre, its still on a thin rim, so it just tends to wrap around more.
    Still got plenty of rubber on the ground and due to the extra bit curved up at the sides it never goes anywhere near the edge even when cornering hard.

In general though - Wider tyre means more rubber on the ground thus more grip, but if its a flatter curve it won't tip into a corner as easy and may tend to force itself upright a lot more (heavier steering throughout a corner)