Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike has been sitting for 3 years.......

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by bigfella, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Hi, been a long time since I have been on here, as the thread states I have left my bike (CBR900RR 1994) sitting in the garage for over three years (had kids... need I say any more!!) Anyways I am looking at firing the old girl up and was wondering if there was anything I should be wary of before turning the key? Any tips/ help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Make sure its in neutral?

Seriously, it depends a bit on how you stored it, but new fuel and oil and flush carbs would be a good start.

3. Holy cow I hope you oiled the cylinders before it sat like that :|

Definitely first stop is to get a new battery, fresh fuel and oil change with NEW oil not that jug of oil you've had sitting next to it for 3 years.

4. I just had a similar case where I bought a bike that had been sitting for a couple of years.

Fresh fuel, new battery to get it started then and oil change (incl filter) and balanced the carbs.

Turned out that years of condensations left a puddle of water in the bottom of the tank, which got sucked through when I went to reserve and obviously the engine died. Leaving me stranded.

Had to then dry off the plugs and drain the carbs to get it going again.

also gave the float bowl a good clean

So yep fresh fuel but drain the tank completely.....tank off job. While you are at it I would check for rust and sediment

5. What those guys said. Itemising it for you:

New battery
    New fuel
    Drain carbies
    Oil & filter change
    Coolant change
    Brakes bled with new fluid
    Tyres inflated to appropriate pressure
    Chain lubricated generously

You may also want to clean the spark plugs, and while they're out put half a teaspoon of oil down each cylinder and let that sit for at least a few hours, if not overnight. This will help immediate lubrication on startup and reduce chances of anything going shebang on you. Might not be neccessary, but definitely won't hurt.

Cheers - boingk

6. Great advice from the guys above.

I just started my bike 2 days ago after it was sitting for about 18 months.

Got a new battery, hit the starter for about 20 minutes with the occasional use of the choke and she eventually got firing.

Rode up the street pretty smoothly, but at least once you get it running its easier to take to the mechanic (which luckily for me is only about 800m away - cos I have no idea how to drain fuel, bleed the brakes etc or anything like that).

7. Great advice from all.

The only thing I'd add is while the plugs are out, turn it over on the starter for 30 seconds or so to build oil pressure and get oil flowing all around the engine, the top end may have dried out a little in 3 years....

8. - drop the oil, fill with cheap oil & filter.
    - pull plugs out
    - fit a new battery
    - crank with ignition disabled (unplug the coil) for 20-30seconds, or until the oil light flickers off.
    - plug in ignition coil(s), check for spark, if all ok, fit plugs.
    - go for a start.
    - get running for a couple minutes, then stop and check oil level.
    - once checked, go around the block, use all the gears, come home.
    - drop oil, refil with new stuff, and enjoy riding.

9. After riding for a bit you probably also want to keep an eye on the fork seals.

Might be fine but the rubber tends to perish over time so you might find after a few rides that they start leaking.....in my case I have to replace the seals