Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike has a slight sway

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by rob53, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Well as per the title, my bike has a slight tendency to sway gently at times. I'm not sure what it could be.

I normally dont notice it, but if I go on super smooth roads (not to many of those :p ) it sways left to right. And if I go into a corner it feels a bit stiff.

But it doesn't seem to always do it. So I'm not sure if its there all the time or it comes and goes.

I thought it would be tyre pressure, but sadly not. I checked the air pressure in the front forks but it was alright.

The rear tyre is missing one lead weight (on the left side) for the wheel balance, but could this cause such a problem?

Any other things I can check for?

BTW this is for a VT250f (very similar to the spada, just slightly older).

2. Your steering head bearings are rooted.
  3. Is there any way to diagnose it without pulling the bike apart?
  4. Ask Loz.

He'll tell you they are rooted.

I think he's right.

At best, they are too tight, which also means they will be damaged and one step closer to rooted.

Tight or stuffed steering head bearings will weave when riding at or below about 60kph. They may feel fine at higher speed where the geometry and vectors involved with steering overcome the shortcomings of the bearings.

It's not a super technical job to repair them, just annoying and time consuming. Be grateful you don't have a BMW airhead R series - the bearings require a specific puller, or a brave back yard tinkerer with a MIG welder to shrink them.
  5. I should have searched earlier, I found one of your previous post's Loz, about the steering heads. Looks like it's time to finally take it to the mechanics. I won't bother doing it myself as I don't have the space at the moment.

Thanks fellas
  6. Yep, you might need some help though.

Lift the front wheel off the ground - if you have a centrestand it's easy, if you don't, you have to lift the bike sideways onto its sidestand and rear wheel. you might need a mate to help with that bit.

Then turn the bars very gently from side to side, using almost no pressure. You're looking for a slight notch just off straight ahead, where the bars will settle into place for a bit instead of turning perfectly smoothly.

The slightest notch in that rotation (if it's bad enough you can sometimes feel it without elevating the front wheel) indicates you need new headstem bearings, and I'm sure you can imagine why it causes the bike to self-steer a bit.