Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike for army person?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by syd rs125, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Ok this is the situation i have just gone full time with the army and am likely to be deployed for about a minimum of 6 months of each year.
    Now my question is what bike should i get?
    I am after something which is likely to sit in the garage for at least 6 months each year. But when not in the garage all i will be using it for is twisties, posing and track days no commuting.
    Because the bike will not get alot of Km's on it am i better going with something second hand or new?? what would hold it's value the most?
    The bikes that make it on the list are.

Suzuki gsx-r 750
    Pros:
    perfect weight-power ratio -
    looks awsome in black
    great sound
    great handling
    Cons:
    Cant think of any

Triumph Daytona 675
    Pros:
    Best handling bike around
    Braided brakes as standard
    has flexible engine
    Cons:
    4th in the looks department
    Bit suss on the sound of a tripple
    Unknown reliability

Yamaha R6
    Pros:
    1st in the looks department
    Manic redline potential
    sounds awsome
    Cons:
    No bottom end power

Honda vtr 1000 SP2
    Pros:
    Sounds louder than god
    Gives me a mega hard on
    classic WSB looks
    Cons:
    Snatchy fuel injection
    Small fuel tank and lower range
    Heavy and 4th in handling

Any comments/critisism on bikes would be helpful. And yes i will try to get some test rides to see which one tickles my pickle just want to get other opinions first. Also is there any specific problems with these models ??? I have heard there is a fault with the r6 fuel tank?? Also heard that the SP2 has snatchy fuel injection??

2. Newer bikes (apart from mega rare ones) will always depreciate faster than older bikes. So consider used.

3. You have answered your own question! :LOL:

4. And I thought I was the only one :p

They're an awesome bike, and out of your choices, would depreciate the least in value. So spend some time looking for an immaculate one with low kms, log books, then come on a ride and we can swap :cool:

5. I have heard that they have very snatchy fuel injection how bad is it really?? do they handle very well ?

6. I don't believe I am about to say this, but I would advise against the 675.
    My reasoning is as follows. If you are going to leave a bike sit for 6 months of the year, you need one that has a reputation for being Tough. And with only 3 years history, as much as they are considered reliable the 675 can’t be said to have enough history to prove whether or not it is tough.

7. Hmmm interesting that is the exact kind of reason i am posting for thanks for the advice reliability is pretty important for me when i get the chance to go for a ride i don't want the thing stuffing up on me.

8. Man, what unit are you in to be deployed six months of the year? SASR or something?

9. hahaha if it was sasr it would be about 11 months and 28 days.
    3RAR the amount of deployments at the moment is pretty rediculous

10. The northern hemisphere residents have to deal with winter storage every year. I don't think it'll make much difference as to which bike you get, but there's plenty of storage tips if you search for winter storage.

11. That's pretty insane mate.

I've got a mate in 4RAR and he's deployed 6-7 months of the year. Scary we're doing it so tight 3RAR is overseas that much. Sucks to be in another corp though - a mate of mine is an engineer and has been trying to be deployed for the past year.

12. the amount of bikes i see sitting idle with rusting chains and discs in the 3RAR carpark is depressing. did they make you live in for the first year? would be better if you had your own garage...
    i would stick to a jap bike, all storage procedures will be covered fairly extensively in the owners manual.

R6, gixxer 750 and SP2 are all fairly different bikes in their own rights, but all will be happy in storage if done properly, and all will do well at your intended use.

one thing on the SP2, i am told most guys get better lap times on firestorms since they are an easier bike to ride. its a racer with lights and needs to be ridden hard to get the best out of it. not an everyday street bike. one of the guys in my sqn has an SP1, its a bit harsh compared to the ole storm, but has 60000kms and still rides like new. the throttle response didnt seem any worse to me than other EFI bikes that ive ridden.

congrats on getting into 3 mate, it was a bit of a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow when i went through the school of foot. you were unlucky not to get a gig when they all left last month.

13. hmm a bike for an army person...
    remember 'delta force' with chuck norris?
    that sweet trail bike he road with all the guns,missiles and grenade launchers on it.thats the one for you...

14. Your best bet will be to learn a good storage procedure.
    Battery on maintenence charger, fuel tank empty with a coating of oil inside it and lid left cracked open, drain carbs, seal airbox and mufflers etc.

Regards, Andrew.

15. cool thanks for the replies.
    I'm not living in as i'm married ive got my own place with garage and one of my best mates livin next door who has two r1 track bikes who could take it out for me everynow and again while i'm away.
    Not sure exactly how long i will be away but with the current tempo i am expecting a fair few deployments.
    thanks idontlikemondays seems u know exactly how hard it can be to get in these days it has taken me 2 years and 2 applications for transfer from chocs to ARA to get this good news.

16. Thats what I keep hearing about '00 r6s, but I'll be damned if I listen :cool:

17. I haven't heard any unreliable stories on the D675 yet.
    I would advise to make sure you go for a fuel injected bike and put a AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery (like a DEKA) in. They withstand longer periods of non-use with less discharge, BUT, aren;t as good as a starting battery. If not, get one of those trickle charge battery chargers that you can wire up a plug to and leave it on charge while away. I tried one on my AGM and it wouldn't work - I don't think you can use trickle charge on them.
    KB

18. Do you have a best mate who could ride the bike occasionally for you while you are away?

I'm sure there would be plenty of volunteers on the forum.

Seriously though, someone you know who could keep the battery charged up and get the engine up to operating temperature every 2 or 3 weeks would come in handy.