Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Solved Bike feels different after dropping it

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by intrancewetrust, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Hey, so the other day when I was practicing my e-braking like a good little learner, my bike (2003 VTR250) sort of got away from me and down she went. the gear lever seemed to take the brunt of the damage, as it was bent, but no other damage (clutch lever was in contact with the ground but didnt break).

I took the bike out again today, first time since the drop and something seems a little off... cant really put my finger on what it is. I think it might be the clutch, it seems like the friction point had moved as I am having a bit of trouble taking off now, whereas before it had become automatic.

Can anyone tell me if dropping the bike onto the clutch lever could somehow alter its action? it seems really loose and wobbly now, but i might have been like that before...

Also i noticed when taking off the bike seemed to jump a little to the left, is it possible the front wheel is out of alignment now? Not only that, but the front brake seems to have lost a bit of feeling too, I was playing around with it, and it seemed really weak unless I pulled hard and then it suddenly locked the wheel (this was when it was still very cold and at a very slow speed) My driveway is really steep, and the front brake didnt hold the bike unless i jammed it on hard. The problem is i was getting quite comfortable before and so all this stuff was happening subconsciously, so I dont have any definite memory of how the bike was behaving before, just this feeling that something is off.

Im not sure if my bike has been affected somehow by the drop, or if its just due to the extreme cold weather at the moment, or if having a mishap has made me become hyperaware of whats going on so it seems like things are a bit different but its all in my head! help!
  2. It's veryeasy to twist the bars in even a minor spill. Usually you only need to loosen off the triple clamps top and bottom and let things straighten up to sort it out. Sometimes you need to string line the bike and give the loosened off bars a bit of a twist to get them right again.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. i suggest you take it to a shop to get sorted
    i would also suggest you dont know enough about bikes to do it yourself
    be on the safe side
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Straighten the bars so that it is straight ahead and then look down on the front wheel and check the bars and wheel are at right angle.

I have to agree with Greg though it is not difficult but it is important so best to get a bike shop to look at it,

Regarding the clutch the adjustment may have moved a bit, Get this adjusted as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Crashes stuff with your mind as much as the bike. Who rides as fast as they did after a crash ? You always slow down and wonder if the bike is bent.
    It would take a fair shunt to bend the front end. Reset all the levers/controls and have a look at the bike generally from front and back view.
    Just remember, we all crash. Move forward,you are alive.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. problem with the front brake are a bit of a worry
  7. Well, they either work or dont.
  8. good advice i will take it to a shop, have been meaning to get a service done anyway

could the difference in brake feeling be from the cold? it was below zero the night before, and hadn't exactly warmed up much when i decided to take her out
  9. Why not service it yourself ? Once you learn to do stuff, you will have a lifetime of satisfaction.
  10. yeah i was pretty pissed off at first, but as my mate said "if you never drop it, you will never learn your limits"

ironically i think it was caused by my braking getting better, i was unprepared for the amount of force it could create, and got sort of shunted forwards and lost my balance. obviously my lower body was not clamped onto the bike as it should have been. which was fine when i was braking much slower/gently...
  11. I hope to suss that out eventually, but just for my peace of mind this time i will get this sorted at a shop so i can focus on keeping the rubber side down :D
  12. think this is the only answer you need. get some professional help.
    sorry mate but that's just nonsense - crashing or dropping your bike does not improve your skillset, training and experience will do that.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Your tyres will be cold,They dont have any traction or very little until they get warmed up a bit, Takes about 5 kays,
    If your bike is not in a dead straight line when E braking, it can throw you sideways and down you will go, But that comes with Experience,
    Use your rear brake coming down a steep hill or use your gears, Gears will give you traction and hold you at a steady speed, It wont get out of control,

You will learn your limits by dropping it, But you will be going at a much higher speed than you are now, You wont see speeds like that for a very long time yet,

Dropping it as a learner, just gets you over the fact you havent and wont die just by dropping it,

Dont push your self to learn, It will come easy the more you ride it, It will become automatic what you do on it, It just takes a bit of time,

And get it checked to be on the safe side,
    • Like Like x 4
  14. yeah i dunno, while the act of dropping it didnt magically make me more skilled it made me realise a few things about what i might have been doing wrong which can only be a good thing.

that probably contributed, but i guess you wont have time to make sure your bike is dead straight in an emergency anyway? and im guessing it doesnt matter so much if the bike moves sideways if your firmly locked onto it? or is there some way to avoid that alltogether
  15. As people have said, check the handlebars are straight, and check the forks have not been twisted. If you want them, I can probably find (or write) instructions to straighten them, but as a beginner rider, it may be a better idea to get a mechanic to look at it. It's not very hard, but there are some ways it can go wrong and be a little difficult to recover from...

For the rest of you, sniggering, imagine if you backed off the triple clamps too much and the whole thing dropped down on the forks until the lowers hit the triples... Ok, that's not so hard - now how do you fix it? To start with, you now can't put the bike on the side stand, because it will fall over... I hope you have an assistant. If you call your mum, can she hear you?

My point is not to mock newbies, it's to point out that what we say is a simple procedure, can also bite you on the bum if you are new to all this stuff. Another example - you twist the forks and you have a fair chance of bending the front axle. Not so much on a bigger bike with a hollow large diameter axle, (they're pretty strong) but on an old fashioned simple front end. So how would you check it? Well to really check it, you'd have to take it out and roll it on a flat surface. Would you like to instruct a beginner in how to do that?
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Later, I have a ride to go on,.
  17. Uncle Greg is right on the money,: if you don't understand it, don't muck around with it......
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. It's very easy to forget that not everyone has the same basic level of mechanical aptitude. That's not a slight on anyone, it's just that not everyone has the same background and people tend to take things for granted. A LOT of people these days have never learned things that I learned with a Dad who was always fixing stuff, and I sometimes forget that.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Plus the 'sealed-system' mentality of modern cars and bikes discourages the average owner from doing anything bar checking tyre pressures .....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. +1 here, If you have a decent mechanic they'll be more than happy to talk you through the check that they do and even how to adjust it.
    Don't stress about the drop, I always say, "These are the things we learn, and this is the way we learn them." It sucks but it happens
    • Like Like x 2