Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike fairings?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by ROZEE, Jul 27, 2007.

1. I'm in the market for a bike at the moment and I really like the naked style so my question is, if i purchase any road/sports bike can I simply take the fairing off to make it look naked? or does this cause a problem?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. The computer says no.

You could but naked bikes are built to be without fairings. Faired bikes aren't. It would probably look pretty poor and depending on the bike you might end up with a hot coolant hose or something against your leg that the fairing normally protects you from. It might also stuff up air flow through radiators and things and cables and stuff might start flying around that normally would be protected by the fairing. Dependant on the bike, air intakes and the like may be supported by the fairing as well.

If you like naked bikes then just buy one. They tend to be cheaper anyway.
  3. taking fairings off a faired bike = streetfighter :cool:
  4. There's more to it than just taking the fairings off. You'll need to pretty her up afterwards, reroute wiring, new headlight, blinkers etc. Some bikes are better for it than others.

You could sell the fairings to one of the many P platers that have just bought a shiny new faired bike and dropped it... thus financing your own streetfighter project.

Go for it.
  5. Awesome, thanks for the replies.
    I guess it's going to be easier and more practical to just buy a naked bike then, problem solved :p

6. Yep, some bikes just happen to look good when you take the fairings off. If you defair an r6 for example, it looks pretty good :)
  7. Some of the sexiest naked bikes didnt start that way. Make one how you want it. ....you know you want to.
  8. Oh god don't plant that idea in my head...it's just not practical for me to do that atm. Sounds like an awesome project in the not-so-far future tho ;)
  9. man, got out there and doooo it! rip the fairing off, jack the back end up and whack a loud exhaust on. if you need help have a look at www. choppersaustralia.com/forum naw these guys are a bit old school but into modifying any thing.

give it a go. if you have the stock bits you can put in back to standared if you dont like it or you can ebay them to fund the customising.

good luck
  10. hey rozee,

i had the exact same idea with my first bike. buy a dropped cbr at a reduced price and remove the fairings. then i worked out the cost of "street fighting" a bike i'd sell within 12 months. plus its money i wouldn't get back when reselling. if i had the money to do so would i do it anyway? most likely. but i don't so i've gone naked for the time being and waiting for my upgrade to spend my cash on.