Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike engine timing... ???

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Grunge, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Is there such a thing... wait.. there probably is... what do we call it and how is it adjusted? (Not technically, I meant how do we know then it's at the right spot.)

The reason I'm asking is that before leaving work I was having a chat with an old friend (who I hooked on to netrider btw, as she was interested in getting her bike L's) at my bike when I started it.
    We were having a bit of a chat, and just before I got my gear on to leave she mentioned "ooh, you might want your bike looked at, listen to the engine purring.." It was not in rhythm, and there was a couple of breaks in the rumbling.
    She used to race cars, and she mentioned that its just akin to tweaking the carburetor or checking the timing belt (which I have no clue about.)
    And once done it'll run a lot more smoother.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this right for a total noob? Or is it just better to take it a mechanics?

Or..... "bikes are cars are different okay?" :p

2. There are two types of timing on bikes that I know of:

1. Valve timing (making sure the valves open and close at the right time)
    2. Ignition timing (making sure the spark plugs do their thing at the right time).

Tweaking the carbs could refer to getting them balanced/synchronised. Very easy to do provided you have the right tool (carb balancer/manometer).

Was the bike started from cold when she heard it? It's pretty normal for the idle to be rougher when the bike is still cold.
  3. Yeap. The bike was started cold, and had about 5 mins warming up as we chatted. I don't have any tools... so maybe I should take it to the mechanics. Or... first, I'll just try to listen to the bike after taking it for a ride. :]

It is an '89 year model 250, after all.
  4. hmmm, a zxr250 twin? from memory they spark each time the piston reaches tdc regardless of exhaust or compression stroke so you can remove the timing concern.
    twin carbies? yeah get them serviced if they worry you.

but listen to it warm, cold it will always be a bit rough.
    spark plugs, air filter or just a regular service may make it run smoother :)