Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike Electrics - A Beginners Guide.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by cjvfr, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Hi All,

I have started a series of Wiki articles on Bike electrics. My training is originally in Industrial control electrics and electronics not automotive so happy to have any comments people want to make the articles better. The first article is up

Bike Electrics - A Beginners Guide

• Like Like x 5
  2. Can't wait to read why my blinkers don't work.
  3. Ask The Toad for "Ride Leaders' New and Improved Blinker Technique".

*waves his hand in general direction he intends to turn and hopes you see it before you ram into his arse*
  4. That's in Volume 2 GreyBM. You will have to wait for the sequel. ;)
  5. Looks good so far cjvfr but if I can just suggest one thing based on some of the questions that have come up from noobs before, and that's perhaps include something on just basic "how to use a multimeter".

Some people seem to get confused by the numerous settings (or the fact omega means ohms or a line with three dots means DC) so perhaps just have a picture of a standard cheapy multimeter and show which settings are used for what (and which you're never likely to need on a motorcycle).

Good to see something useful being added to the Wiki though. Guess I'll have to do my bit and write something up on corrosion treatment and prevention as soon as I get a chance.
  6. That's brilliant! Looking forward to the next instalment.

7. Good on you JD, yes when I was writing the basic diagnosis stuff I sort of glossed over the multimeter use. I will expand that section. Thanks for the feedback.
  8. That's great info, thanks for sharing! :finger:
  9. Did you check the blinker fluid? (sorry, couldn't resist)
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Based on jd 's suggestion I have written the second article in this series based on using a multimeter or test globe. The next one will be on common starting problems. But maybe not till after Christmas.

Using your Multimeter or Test Globe
    • Like Like x 2