Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike covers

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by caterz, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Unfortunately my bike has to live outside, so I cover it. The cover I use is according to the packet, heavy duty vinyl with polyester lining. The question is, how long should I expect it to last? Had it about a year, and over this time it has developed a large sticky brown stain over the top, which I haven't been able to get off. I've just noticed that the stain is now hardening, with the result the outer layer is cracking & splitting, making it useless. Is this expected to happen, or do I just have a rather crappy cover? Dunno wat got on it, but I'm glad it's on the cover & not my bike!

2. I'd give a decent cover 12 months out in the weather, 3-4 years in a garage or under cover.

I bought an Aunger cover that is heat resistant on the bottom, scratch proof inside the top, and although its looking a bit tatty, still works fine. Avoid under trees - sap or a bird could have made that stain! :grin:

3. Your main enemy is UV light. This above all other effects will determine the life span. Try to position (if possible) in the shade.
    Also avoid over grass or moist earth, as you will get condensation on the inside (can rott the cover and your bike if left for resonable periods of time).