Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike cover

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Somatic, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Hey fellas, my bike sits in the sun at work for most of the day. Would I look like a total douche if I got a cover for it t work?

2. Who cares what it looks like.
  3. it will look worse quicker if you don't use a cover
  4. i would if i was you, why not? get a good one like an oxford rainex, i have one on my bike that lives outside, its always dry and fresh no matter how crazy the weather decides to be here in sydney. Highly recommend getting a heavy waterproof one over just a dust cover. might as well get more protection then less if your going to go to the effort of covering your bike.
  5. Oh I forgot to say, one of the issues is that you don't want to put a cover on a hot wet bike as it will encourage rust. Also watch for melting the cover (expensive ones dont do this) on the exhaust.
  6. Also, make sure the cover is 'lined' otherwise they can have a tendancy to scratch the paint/crome. Alternatively you can put a soft dust cover over the bike then the rain cover over that.

My bike is parked outside in the weather all day at work and it doesn't bother me, but then again my bike has a good layer of dirt/dust to protect it from harmful UV rays.
  7. Lol, I just don't want it to roast the seat and fade it and make the paint dull. Its not like a car that has windows and a roof. It gets exposed to the elements a lot more
  8. Or am I paranoid?
  9. Well I can't argue with that. If you are concerned then get a cover. Alternatively a sheep skin seat cover will help keep your seat cool and offer some protection. My bike is 9 years old and spends Monday to Friday between 8:00am and 5:00pm out in the elements. The paint work isn't to bad, but I had to get the seat recovered last year because it was cracked/split

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.
  10. i have an Oxford cover hat is waterproof and lined on the inside to prevent any scratching. it also has a different material near the pipes and other 'hot' parts of the bike which are heat resistant to prevent melting.