Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike control in the twisties.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by FALCON-LORD, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Breaking Accelerating and holding onto your bike.

My usual way of managing my break and throttle when I am wanting strong control of the bike (Splitting or in the twisties) is to use my thumb and first finger around the throttle and then the remaining three fingers on the break.

On the mountain bike I use my first and second fingers on the break. I think the leaver shape is a key factor hear (It is shorter and closer to the handle bars)

Now after my GOR Run (Yeah I am going to be living off the stories for a while)
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26664&start=75
    My first finger is hurting (LOTS) I think I may have done myself a bit of a noticeable injury.

So how else do Twisties riders handle this stuff?

2. Oh no, this is no good!

Have you tried adjusting the lever? I find that I get sore hands if I have to stretch for the lever. I don't usually get sore fingers though.

Also, what about lubing the cable so there is less resistence?

Just a thought

3. I use my index and middle finger on the brakes, unless I'm coming to a full stop or doing a stoppie.

4. It is actually th efinger that is staying around the throttle that is hurting, not one of the ones that is reaching for the leaver.

I expect it is partly the stretching action of the other fingers that is causeing the strain.

5. So the same as i do on the mountain bike.
    maybe i need to adjust the leaver so that i can do this as well.

6. Ok, I have to ask where do your fingers hurt and what does the pain feel like?

I know a bit about fingers from injuries I've had in the past. If you are heading down the path of tendon or tendon sheath damage (although both are unlikely) you should give your hands a complete break.

7. mmmmm, I don't use the front brake at all in the twisties...I am prepared for it, but my logic is that I set the speed before the corner and grabbing a handful of front brake mid tilt is only going to end in tears. I am always ready to cover, but generally I am on the throttle not preparing to brake. At worst I'd do what Loz does with the middle finger, generally more than enough to slow down.

Might be all wrong though!

Lane splitting, always ready with cover, but generally going slow enough that a dab of rear is all that's required.

8. yeah well this is my fear. it feels much the same as if I have over stressed it rock climbing, except a lot more persistent. (Because I was doing it for hours and hours)

No handfulls of breaks in corners, just application on approach to set up the speed and then covering for "Just in case" in fact i think i do more strain when i am covering but not applying the break because the other fingers are flexed out further.

9. It all depends though dunnit cejay - I mean, you can cruise the twisties using engine braking and some pedal to set your entry speeds, or you can get on the hammer, accelerate hard out of corners, and brake hard before a turn.

If you're going pretty hard, you'll need to brake pretty solidly before corners with front and rear brake, trail the rear to settle the bike as you push it in if you're still not comfy with your entry speed, and off you go.

10. get those hand excercises ready then!

i agree with loz, it does all depend. on the zzr is the lever adjustable at all?

11. Just practice going from full hand on the throtte to full hand on the brake. You arent gonna be using the front brake whilst youre in the turn unless there is an emergency, and in that case you will need to straighten the bike before braking (which gives plenty of time to move your hand to the break). Otherwise, just start using your rear break more and setting your entry speed before the turn so you can accelerate out.

Or just suck it up :LOL:

You only PERCEIVE pain, it isnt actually real :grin:

12. Yeah it is not the pain i am worried about, it is teh commonly assosiated damage that i have issues with.

13. Hmmm, that's a bit suss. I nearly asked if you had any old finger injuries. I used to climb alot and compete in the east coast climbing competitions. I had to give up after I tore sheaths in two of my fingers. My hands are generally ok now but stuff like horse riding agrivates them (the reigns tend to sit accross the old injuries).

Signs to watch out for are 1) sharp pains while riding under any of your finger joints or where your fingers meet your hands 2) same pain but much duller while not riding and 3) tiny, tiny little lumps at the site of the pain that are sensitive to touch (scar tissue forming).

If you have 1. then I would say you should definitely adapt your riding style. If you have 1. and 2. you should probably take a break until your fingers stop hurting and then try a different riding style. If you have 1, 2 and 3 then that's not good.

If you have none of the above - YAY

14. Usually once tendon sheaths are torn they will never heal back to their original condition. For example most people could easily pick a bucket of water up by curling two fingers around the handle of the bucket. If you have tendom damage you might lose this ability (depending on severity). Tendons aren't like bones, they don't heal in 6-12 weeks.

What most people experience when they start riding is pain through the palm of their hand (maybe up into the fingers) from the clutch. This has nothing to do with tendons. In normal circumstances it would be very difficult to get tendon damange from riding a bike.

15. Doh - double post

..and message too short

16. O.K. To break down the sensation, I havea dull pain oover the first joint of my index finger, and when I flex it there is a more accute paint (Not quite sharp, but definatly more noticable)

It is almost like i have pulled or brused the joint.
    I noticed it on friday on the way back from gor, but it wasn't particularly diferent to the way the rest of me fealt. The rest of me is feeling better.

17. its worth seeing a physio. sometimes the muscle goes into spasm to protect the tendon and stays locked up. they can
    fix it quickly. otherwise it can drag on for months.
    if its a sore finger it must have been the mouse button at work.

18. Or the HELLO BOYS! button on the missus.

19. Pain is the body's way of telling you not to do something. If it hurts, stop doing it. You shouldn't need to cover the brake in the twisties anyway. Setting your corner speed before you enter the turn should rarely even require brake but if it does, why not use all your fingers? :)

20. does the HELLO BOYS! button pay compo?