Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike Complianced...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Grunge, May 9, 2006.

1. Just 2 quick questions:

If a bike has been compliance, does that mean that it is a grey import?
    How does compliancing work?

And if you're wondering, yes, I am a noob.
  2. I believe all complianced bikes are grey imports (I am not positive on this though, but can't figure out a case where it wouldn't be true)

Compliance date is simply the date which it was approved as meeting australian standards for motorcycles. So an importer brings a bike to australia, and then does various fixes / upgrades / changes to meet ADR's, and then has this reviewed to make sure it is design rules compliant. And voila - you have a complianced bike.

Just a quick note: compliance date has absolutely no relationship to manufacture date. Some bikes manufactured in the 80's are being complianced in 2006, and are being sold as '2006 models' by some non-too-reputable dealers.
  3. Kewl. Thanks for that... Can anyone else confirm this?

I know that the compliance date has nothing to do with manufacture date. I guess another question that comes out of this is that being compliance that still means that it needs to use imported parts essentially right?
  4. not always. Some (most?) imported and complianced bikes also have a local version available (like the cbr, across, and trx). Some parts will probably interchage with the local models. Also, some things (like brake levers, etc.) are pretty generic for most bikes so you can buy parts locally. Most times you will be able to get local parts. There are some exceptions of course...

(p.s. it did sound like you didn't equate compliance with manufacture, but I just wanted to make sure)

One other issue with grey imports is insurance - some companies may increase premiums or refuse to insure a grey bike apparently.
  5. All (registered) bikes go through ADR compliance - the difference is that grey imports are complianced by someone other than the manufacturer. In many cases there are no major differences between greys and official imports when it comes to parts. Even official imports can have differing build/compliance dates - production of the CBR250RR ceased in 1996 but they were still sold in Australia officially by Honda up to 2000 ("year" of the bike is based on complaince date, not build date).
  6. plenty of locally sold bikes have a lot of interchangable parts with the grey imports, mine is a grey import and i can get everything at the local bike shop :) if you have your eye on one, do some searching first as some are exspensive for parts :)
  7. Okies.... so with grey imports, it just depends on the mechanic and the parts available, but generally you can find an equivalent part, right? I guess if the mech wants to do it "right", they'd get the original imported part for it....
  8. Not necessarily, if it's a bike that was sold here then parts designed for the locally delivered model will generally be exactly the same as those used on the Japanese market model. Even bikes not sold here will often share components/engine with other models that were, if not there are plenty of places that bring in wrecks from Japan - so very unlikely that you'd ever need order in parts new from Japan (depending on what bike you buy).
  9. yeah like CBR250's theres a million here so finding parts is easy for them but if you import a bike thats rare here then your in some trouble.
  10. Okies. Got that.. Kewl.

Thanks guys!