Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bike Advice

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by deviot, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Hey Guys,
    Looking at getting a road bike in a month or so and just after some advice on a bike.

I used to have a KLX-250 but I sold that around 6 months ago. On the KLX-250 I did both off road and road riding. I have also ridden various other dirt bikes.

I'm now looking at getting a my first full road bike (never ridden one before) for my commute to work (Werribee, Vic to CBD).

I'm a bit confused on bike to get originally I was looking at CBR250RR or RVF400 but for the age and km's I feel that are way over priced. It seems pointless spending $4,000 - $4,500 on a CBR250RR or $5,500-$6,000 on a RVF400 when I can get a GSXR600 97-99 with 21,000-51,000 km for $4,300 - $5,000.

In the end I plan on moving up to a GSXR but not sure how I will go for my first full road bike on one. Will it be OK with some self control? OR can you recommend a good stepping stone bike which I will not get bored of but which is not also over priced for what it is (RVF400 seemed like a good idea until I looked at the prices!)?

I'm around 170cm and just under 70kg's.

Any help or information you guys can give would be great.
  2. Why not get a motard? Something like WR450 (or maybe one of the 650's)with 17" road rims and rubber, keep the dirt rims and rubber and you have 2 bikes in one.

I'm guessing you don't have a full licence.
  3. #3 bulby, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    From the prices point of view, I find most (if not all) LAMS bikes cost a fair bit more than they're worth. If you're not restricted to LAMS bikes, I reckon just go for a non-LAMS one.

The general advice I've seen on netrider would sound something like "go easy on the throttle and you should be fine". But then again, I'm a newbie who's still learning the basics. So yeah. If any of you more experienced riders could add to / confirm / correct this, please do :)
  4. Had road tyres on the KLX-250 for a while and didn't really enjoy the motard style.

Going a different direction from a super sport bike I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a bike in the 70's/retro/cafe style like the Ducati GT1000 (LOVE IT but don't have that much to spend :p) but within my price range of around $5000?
    I really like the look of these.
  5. Fair enough, I know what you mean. My son had a KLR650 with road rims and rubber. Good fun for a once in a while ride, but not something I could live with.

Have a look at an older z750, or maybe a GSF600 (Bandit).