Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

bike advice needed (mountain type)

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Mik84, May 28, 2006.

1. Well ive decided it would be a good idea to buy a mountain bike to get around on.

Ive been trying to do a bit of research but im struglling a bit and have no idea what i should be looking at...

Ill be using it to ride to and few k's to and from work and just getting around town on it mainly. I want something thats well built and thats gonna last a good few years without dramas.

Money wise im thinking around $700ish give or take, spose id just prefer to find the sweet spot of the market and get some good features without paying huge dollars...

Any advice on brands/models i should be looking at would be great. Cheers peoples :)

2. with that sort of budget you should get something decent.

Cant really recomend a brand, but if its for around town look for something with shocks on front but a fixed rear end.
    The dual shock looks cool, but saps all the power your trying to put down to the ground, so its gonna be hard work and slow.

Also look for something with disc brakes.

Head into a bike shop and have a chat to them, they will have a much better idea of what sort of bike is going to be suitable for your needs.

3. Yeah im gonna go have a look today, just tryin to get an idea first. I dont trust salesmen :wink:

Thanks fro the advice :)

4. If your looking at doing road Kms skip rear suspension. Weighs the bike down (for that price) and wastes energy. Giant yukon is what I ride, just stick some 1.5"/2" road tires on it and you'll have a curb jumping solid MTB with a kick-arse frame and running gear.

5. Yeah +1 for the Giant brand - I've got one of the cheaper models but it's still holding up well despite heavy on and offroad (ab)use :).

6. A good friend of mine sells ROCK MACHINE here in Vic (google them). Would you like me to ask him if they have people/contacts near you to fet you a discount/talk to? I got my $1500ish RRP bike for $500 from him :)

7. Well i just went and had a look at the local bike shop. They pointed me in the direction of the Giant Boulder model with disc brakes for around $500 which seems alright.

Just thinking i prob dont wanna spend too much cause itll prob get knocked off anyways :evil:

Ill have a bit more of a look but probably just settle for one of those...

8. Given your criteria, you should look for-

-front suspension with a lock out feature(really good when on the road)
    -NO rear suspension
    -Alloy frame
    -8/24 speed or more
    -I would steer clear of disc brakes if you can, they add weight and not a great deal of improvement in performance for the type of riding you have indicated. V-brakes are also cheaper, meaning you can afford to get better components elsewhere where it matters more to your style of riding.

I would look at the Mongoose Tyax range, I reckon they are one of the best value for money MTB ranges around :grin:

9. Get something that doesn't flex all over the place when you stand up and crank hard on it.

10. Before you decied go and check out melbourne bicyle in clifton hill,brand means little most of the bikes in 500 plus range are simular. In regards to disc brakes the advantages are if you got buckled wheel no probs, mud also doesnt jam in brakes like v/ brakes. Even if your not in vic they will freight it to you

11. Mountain bikes arent the best for the rds. Why not look at your hybrid style bikes or even a flat bar rd bike if thats the style you want. I rode mountain bikes for years and a few months ago bought a new rd bike, should have bought one years ago. Have a look at the scott sportster p2 or p3 they are a great hybrid style bike, with a good sporty riding position. and have front suspension with lockout which is very important !!

12. Don't forget the hidden extras, like pump, lights, helmet, puncher repair kit, tools, etc . . . these can easily add an extra $100+

Then you can go all out and get the racing lycra, jackets, etc. . . .

13. bit of insider info for you:
    keep an eye on places selling AVANTI bikes at the moment, the 2005 range was WAAAY overstocked (they've still got masses of them in the warehouse even now). what this means is that you'll get a top bike, albeit a little older, for next to nicks because no-one gunna pay full price for a bike that old (the 07 range of most bikes will be starting in a few months :LOL: )

i'd also say stay away from discs - in that price range anyways. reason being is that middle to top end V brakes work MUCH better than lower to bottom end discs and are easier to work on to boot. if it came down to it, i'd much prefer a decent set of Vs over a set of mechanical discs any day (but just try and take my lx hydros off me :twisted: )

also, its worth a look at the GT i-drive aswell, its a duallie, but the mechanism does a great job of reducing the amount of power lost to the suspension.

otherwise, hardtail all the way. and if you can wait a few months, you'll save a fortune. runouts on models being replaced sometimes see bikes going close to half price!

or just buy this.... sweeeet bike to start on :grin:
    http://showroom.goldcross.com.au/ProdView.aspx?popup=1&Category=SXBIMOEN&Product=10102
    or this might fit the bill too, bit of a hybrid (i'm not a fan, but some ppls like them)
    http://showroom.goldcross.com.au/ProdView.aspx?popup=1&Category=SXBIMOEN&Product=105291

(i'm still bashing my 02 GT Avalanch around with no dramas, tuff as bike. my sister has about 5,000kms on her 03 model ands its still going strong too)

14. Coconuts has some good points.

Always buy last year's model if you can you will normally save a fair bit of money.

I have been MTBing for about 15 years and always adopt the philosophy of less is more, some bikes have all the features and wizz bang cra,p steer away from them. Buy a simple bike for the same money.

If I was to give any advice it would be:

Buy a run out model if discounted.
    Buy a bike that FITS.
    Buy a bike from a proper bike shop, that listens to you and you feel good about.
    Buy a bike from a shop with a workshop, they seem to know more about bikes.
    Buy a bike for it's frame, you cannot upgrade this cheaply.

Oh did I mention get a bike that fits!

I love my XT V brakes had them for about 8 years on my duallie and wouldn't change for discs, unless they were free :LOL: Although if someone knows of a cheap good quality hardtail frame I would go back to that. I miss the feel of the trail of a good hardtail

15. I disagree totaly.
    hybrids are the bigest wank.
    They are the worst of both worlds, you can not control a hybrid with the same confidence as a MTB, the frame geometry is find for crusing along bike trails, but in trafic, a Hard tail mountain bike is simply more controlerble and thus safer. If you are on roads get a MTB and put road slicks on it, or id you really want to go to town a thiner ligter rim and road slicks, but still either get a Racer/roadbike or a MTB, but a Hybrid is only good for casual bike trails.

for what you have described stick to a hard tail, and as has been pointed out a couple of times here, a lockout on the front suspension is a real plus (Or even get some forks without suspension at all) The front suspension is fantastic on gravel and the like, but on bitument it sucks up a little power
    [EDIT]Oh and Disks are realy over rated. Stay away from cheap disk all together (And in your price range that is all they will fit) and even good disks are only worth it if you ride in lots of wet weather, and put in the maintenance time to keep them in very good shape[/EDIT]

16. I hate hybrids, would never buy one. But I am a purist when it comes to bikes I have about 6 in the garage!

Now a flat bar road bike would be a great option! Just like a naked upright motor bike, all the fun of a racer without the sore wrists and better visiblity.

If you want to do long runs on one of these you can clip on tri bars. :wink:

17. matti, what sorta duallie frame have you got there? and what size are you using?

if you're a medium and your fairly serious about this, i think we might be able to work something out :wink:

18. Diamondback Vlink Pro3, size I'm 6'2" so need a larger medium or large, don't like oversized frames.

Used to ride a 18" Raceline to give you a guide.

Would love to do it but just started building a house so guess where all my money is :cry:

19. yeh, not a fan of oversized myself, but i'd reckon an M would be WAY small for you (at 6' i cant stand it).

not to worry, its just that i've got a spare bike, an avanti montari, thats just sitting there waiting for my other half to start riding it. eventually she'll get round to it but in the meantime, if someone had a bottom end duallie frame that they wanted to swap for a hardtail, i'm sure she'd appreciate the extra cushyness when i manage to get her riding :grin:

20. Thanks Coconuts, what is it with wives? Mine's got a beautiful Mongoose Zuma beach cruiser sitting in the shed and she wont ride it.

I need to get her a more comfy seat apparantly. :shock: