Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bigger tire on GPX question

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Glennb, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Hi all. Im looking at putting a 130/90 tire as you dont seem to be able to get 130/80 r16 anymore.has anyone else done this and had any trouble? How much will this effect my gearing? I do want a bit more power up hi and a slightly lower reving at cruising speed. Should this do the job?

2. Ah the curse of 16" wheels.
    However, I'd be more inclined not to over-tyre the bike if all you want to do is change the gearing. It will be cheaper to change the sprockets, I believe.
  3. The local Kawasaki shop put a 130/90 on jodies GPX250 for the same reason.

It makes the speedo a 5kph out at 100kph and gives a few more revs at highway cruising speed.

Doesn't seem to effect the handling noticibly.
  4. hey Glenn, forget what I said, he owns one! :p
  5. I put a 130/90 on my one, when I had it. No real difference in how it went/handled, other than the fact you can't get anywhere near the edge of the tyre when you're cornering. You'll touchdown pegs and centrestand long before that.

Put a 45-46 rear sprocket on the rear if you want to improve acceleration. Drop it down to 41 or perhaps put a 15-16 on the front if you want to drop the revs cruising.
  6. Cheers guys, The tires a must as it is wearing down but I was looking at changing the gearing before this to a 15/47=.31915 final gear ratio which I feel would of been good for what i want but now i have too change the tire which will give me a a too bigger final gear ratio with the 15/47.
    Does anybody now if I can get 46 or 48 teeth for my bike?? I did ring one place and said only 45 or 47.