Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bigger Sprocket need to know more

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by BJ, May 8, 2007.

1. Hey peoples I'm looking at putting a larger diameter sprocket onto my honda hornet 600 as I'm getting into some stunt practice and 1st gear is very on/off in terms of power for keeping the bike monoing... i can go into 2nd after getting it up in 1st but i've tried and tried slipping her direct from 2nd but alas no go... i still need the bike to be flying through twisties but outright straight line speed isn't needed.... hey its a naked bike i get blown off it if i got too quick :D
    So i don't want a 65 tooth sprocket and it currently has a 45 tooth sprocket.
    what would be the best option 52, 55???
    and how much of a difference will this make to 1st and 2nd gear?
    I've spoken to a Brisbane based company "ChainGang" who seemed really good on the phone and i know their products are great only $150 for the sprocket regardless of how many teeth i want and i'm not sure $$ on the chain as yet.

Any ideas, or people saying no that's a bad idea.... let me know

2. It would be best to go down a tooth at the front (eg. 15t instead of stock 16t), and also up a couple at the back (eg. 47t instead of stock 45t).

What sized sprockets are standard?

You can calculate what the stock final drive ratio is, and go from there. For the track I use from between 2.56 (Philip Island) to 2.80 (Winton).

It depends on your gearbox, but I'd reckon a 3:1 ratio is about what you want, the bike will still probably hit a decent top speed (over 180 km/h) while having much more controllable power in teh first couple of gears.
  3. BJ - jesus mate who's been telling you to go THAT big on the sprockets!!!!!!!

The standard hornet sprockets are 14 on the front & 42 on the rear.

standard change for Horneteers who want to make wheelies that little bit easier is +3 teeth on the rear. This change isn't so hard on the chain, and everyone who does it is usually really happy (42 to 45)

A few owners also go -1 on the front (15 to 14)

Now since you already have a 45 on the rear, i suggest you simply go -1 on the front. You might want to also ask on the Hornets Nest about this as 99% of those guys have made some kind of sprocket change.

You might also want to check out this place for some good chains/sprockets:
  4. -1 front, +1 rear is a good combination of wheelie power and everyday rideability.

I rode Nam's CBR600 with a massixe fifty-something tooth pizza tray sprocket on the rear, it was still streetable but very revvy and I don't think you'd want to go that way unless you were getting pretty heavily into stunting.

You should be able to pick up sprockets cheaper than that; just got a -1 front sprocket for the ZX9 and it cost me all of $20. Chain gang stuff is probably great if you need ginormous sprockets you can't get on the market here.

Be aware that fiddling with sprocket sizes roots your speedo and odo, they'll overread like crazy.
  5. went 7 teeth up on my rear sprocket--50 tooth from chain gang -- make sure ya get a good quality chain also- highly recommended.

it does set ya speedo off- bike does not get that much top end speed- but did a track day @ island and it was ok!!! who really goes 250km/hr on the roads anyways( DONT ANSWER people) but really great to do 2nd gear monos in-- so if thats what ya want then go for it!!! consider startin small and practising and then working ya way up to a larger (55) one!!!
  6. By putting a smaller front sprocket on and adding a few teeth more to the rear, you'll be saving weight, unsprung mass, and rolling inertia over installing a huge rear sprocket while still having the same final drive ratio...

It'll only screw up your speedo if the cable is run of the gearbox.
  7. on Hornets, it is.
  8. You can get that fixed (once you're happy with the setup) from any instrument calibration service. If you're in Adelaide, there's one in Norwood and Port Adelaide. It costs about $150-200, depending if they have to change many cogs.
  9. Or you can whack on a $20 pushbike speedo that'l stay accurate with any more gearing changes.
  10. As Cammo said its quite easy to calculate your final drive ratios, and if you can find out a few technical details for your bike you can calculate everything you want to know, you need to get the gear box ratios for each gear and and you can even workout theoretical speeds for each gear at certain revs, if you need help just sing out.
  11. excellent

Thank you all muchly for the replies.. I have found although the 45 tooth sprocket makes the bike alot punchy down low compared to other stock 42 tooth hornets i still want more ;).
    I'll look into the availibility of front sprockets as well as the rear...
    anyone with a hornet know of a place with different then stock or can i probably just go through honda for a small change up the front?
    the speedo is already out so it doesn't really faze me i know roughly what speed im doing depending on gear/revs.
    Honda said i can only go up to a 47 through them and other then chaingang does anyone know of another place to go through?
  12. I imagine the front sprocket would be the same as many honda models, just make sure to get it in the right pitch.

Any moto accessory place should be able to supply it. Aftermarket (eg. renthal) will be way cheaper than genuine parts.
  13. Renthal would be my recommendation
  14. sweet

hey thanks for the link I'll definately go the smaller front sprocket and see how it goes. I'm pretty sure i'll definately still do larger at the back but i'll see what difference a 14 tooth at the front will make.
    anybody know decent suppliers of renthal gear in Melbourne?
  15. you don't need any gearing for learning wheelies. it's all in clutching technique. but if you want to do advanced stuff then regearing is essential. helps prevent stalling when going idle slow, and will save your rear brakes a little.

but if you're crap at wheelies, regearing is going to actually make it harder for you to learn. you're welcome to have a ride of mine and see how it feels with the 55T. but you will struggle unless you have learnt how to find balance point. you'll run out of revs quicker.
  16. ...

point noted :grin:
    I can get them up to balance point but eventually comes down as i hit limit in 1st, i can whilst it's wheeling in 1st shift into 2nd and hold that for a much longer distance but from just going along in 2nd i can't bring it up. I agree that clutch technique is required but i've practiced slipping alot and although i can lift it a tiny amount i can't get it all the way up.

That's why i thought a bigger rear/smaller front sprocket would "assist" in helping her up with the 2nd gear slips.
    I dunno could be me should a 600 hornet definately have enough balls to lift up in 2nd (on a flat road) slipping the clutch?
    roll on/off in first and slipping in 1st easy as but in 2nd i can't do.
  17. if you are running out of revs, you're not at balance point.

dude, gimme a pm if you want some coaching.
  18. Re: ...

yes it should and it does

my BF's done it on my bike
  19. .

:( at my inability then haha pm sent and thanks for all the replies.