Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bigger Muffler

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by vladpp, May 3, 2008.

?
  1. Yes.

100.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hi, i was having a look at a car boot sale and found a 2002 GSXR 1000 muffler for $40, witch seamed like a bargain so i bought it.

My question is, what are the effects of putting a 1000cc muffler on a 250cc bike? Besides the work involved, what are the advantages/disadvantages and would i have modify anything else?

2. Its a 250, it won't do much.. Put it on for novelty value! If you dont like it you can always change back.

3. i agree with fizzhog, chuck it on for shits & giggles!
    just remember, any modifications required to fit it, should be done to the can itself and not your original muffler/mounts etc., so you can swap it back should you be disappointed with the result. but you wont know unless you give it a go :)

4. it wont do much other than make it run lean as fcuk and possibly in the long term damage the engine. but hey it would look cool..

5. it may, or may not. unless you have data showing the difference in flow-restriction/throughput between the two mufflers, you are only guessing :)

6. The bikes original muffler has a fair amount of rust inside the muffler and its welded onto the exhaust system, im thinking cut the exhaust 10cm from the muffler and attach a bracket so it can be bolted on and off, then fabricate a new pipe to connect to the new muffler.

How much damage are we talking about? And how would running lean affect the general running of the engine/consumption?

btw, this is my first bike witch i payed $600 for so im not really planing on keeping it forever, but at least for another 1 or 2 years would be nice.

I haven't rwc the bike yet, so ill change the muffler after "THE MAN" gives me the papers. Also, do you think there would be any legal issues regarding the posible increase in noise levels?

7. The fuel going into the engine actually has a very significant cooling effect. Running lean causes the engine to run hotter and lose power, and runs the risk of burning a hole in the piston.
    It may also cause it to backfire on overrun which admittedly does sound cool but will also more than likely attract the attention of the Police.

8. I'm of the opinion that even most specifically built aftermarket muffler swaps are detrimental exercises in vanity. Some bikes like the old Bandit 1200 get a big power boost out of removing a restrictive muffler but in most cases you just bollocks the air/fuel mix and screw up a gas scavenging harmonic that has been carefully set up by the manufacturer.

Besides, the stock 02 Gixxer muffler is an absolute bazooka, why the hell would you want a garbage can like that hanging off a small bike? Shits and giggles maybe, but I wouldn't waste my time on it if I were you.