Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bigger hard disc in PS3, hmm????

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Feb 13, 2010.

1. I have an 80gb PS3, and since getting the Play-TV module, have been filling it up with alarming speed. I have a spare 500gb SATA hdd lying around, but I seem to recollect reading some horror stories on the 'Net about bigger hdds and Play-TV. Can anyone give me some advice, please?

2. #2 vic, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Can't you bang an external drive on it??
  3. you should be able to install a new HDD in it without too many probs. An external drive won't work as play tv will not copy programs to an external device... nor even the video library of the PS3 only the play tv library

There should be some instructionals around somewhere hornet, I know a few guys who have done it successfully, has to be a SATA drive and I think they only accept certain speeds but don't quote me on that
  4. #4 dane75, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  5. ooo eck, it's a 2.5" drive, the 500gb I have is a full-sized drive :(.
  6. I put a 500gb 2.5inch drive in mine. It was pretty straight forward and gives me plenty of room for play tv
  7. I put an SSD in my PS3 Slim. Works no problems at all.
  8. Thanks for the feedback and collective wisdom, folks. Looks like it's about $125 for a 500gb SATA 2.5" drive, 5,400rpm, need to start hoarding the pennies :LOL:.
  9. If you want a cheaper price and have a store near you at all, $100 for a 2.5" 500GB drive http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

If you are able to visit MSY, make sure it's during business hours, most (all?) times non business hours = huge lines usually! Also email and confirm they have the drive, MSY stores usually have an immense stock turn over so they may not have particular parts in but hopefully 2.5" drives aren't that much of a huge seller so they have one/some in stock
  10. have a 500gig on my 40gig ps3...works like a charm :)
    Picked it up from msy, quite cheap prices there, but dont expect any 'customer service'.
  11. yes, but you can't use Play-TV with an external drive, as stated above, and that's what I want the extra storage for....
  12. naah its not an external drive, you swap the internal 80gig drive of yours to a 500gig one.
    So your ps3 internal drive capacity increases to 500gig instead of the 80, which you can use installing games, demos and playtv.

you need a 2.5' sata drive with 5400rpm speed.
    check this link for more details about how to upgrade the factory hdd and list of compatible drives.

do remember to back up your data before replacing your hdd though.
  13. ^^ as they say, the $100 500GB 2.5" drive is internal. I'm fairly sure I kind of know what I'm talking about *whistles*

Here's the past week of my advice and hardware on WP http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/user/5913
  14. ah, yes, thanks shadow, I had been told it needed to be an internal 500gb laptop-type drive, I'll have to see how the finances shape up with the annual meet going on in a few weeks in Jindabyne :LOL: