Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bigger Bikes

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by nodz, Jun 29, 2005.

1. I'm a noob and never been on a bigger bike.

What's the main difference between riding a small bike (250cc) and bigger bike (600cc+)?

I understand, the difference in if you give one a kick in the guts nothing happens and the other you might get your arms ripped off (although it does depend a little on the bike being ridden) but what are the main differences, if any?

What needs to change in terms of riding technique (apart from correcting for things like increased speed etc?
  2. Extra weight & slow steering are the biggies. The extra power isn't really that bad until you rev it HARD as most modern bikes are generally quite friendly to ride (even gixxer thous & such can be pootled around quite easily).

80's strokers, with killer powerbands are a different story entirely, & those weird turbo experimental thingies from the same era should be avoided by all but the most insane.
  3. basically just gotta be a bit smoother and more committed to what your doing. jerk on the brakes with twin 4 pot brakes and you'll lock up, not so nasty on a single 2 pot CB brake i'd imagine. and yeah, when taking a corner, its not as easy to correct your lines or rub off some speed etc.

so many things, too hard to remember :? take your time to get used to it and you'll be fine IMO....
  4. The biggest difference I found going to a 600 is that you don't feel like the bike is going to crash all the time... :LOL:

I don't think it's the cc's of a bike which makes it so different - it the brakes, the weight and the acceleration. If your used to a sh1tbox that can't accelerate (it could well be a 600cc that is out of tune) and go to a bike with a nice tight throttle, it will be more sensitive. Same with going from a bike with crap drum brakes to twin discs - more sensitive.

I did my licence test on a 900cc bike - only every ridden a 250. I just had be gentle and fluid and I was OK. You could ride a Rocket III with no probs with the same method. Remember the bike won't crash unless you give it the wrong input - so work your way into it and you'll be fine.
  5. Dan, thats what i found riding the VZ800 - Sooo much smoother and "safer" feeling.... "WHY THE HELL DO LEARNERS HAVE TO RIDE THOSE WOBBLY, SLOW THINGS" - First thing that went through my mind....

Take it easy... you got used to a 250 didnt you ? - bet that felt waaay too powerful the first time you rode it too .....

6. heavier to pick up
  7. The biggest difference a lot of people find is when they move from an old 250 to a newish bigger capacity bike. Everything works, brakes, suspension, steering, smoother engine, tighther controls etc.

In cage terms, imagine swapping from a 1991 Corolla to a 2004 V8 Falcodore. Both drivable by a L or P plater but now you have different considerations. Chances are the Falcodore wont give you the mechanical and drivability problems a 15 YO Corolla would but you could find yourself having a higher liklihood of pranging the Falcodore as you explore the new found power and handling.

The biggest difference I found was in the ride height and weight. Bigger bikes tend to sit a bit higher and weigh more. I do feel more comfortable on the Storm compared to the Across though even with this difference.
  8. Yeah, I experienced pretty much all of the above when I upgraded (except the picking up bit, touch wood). For me it was a much bigger step going from being a complete non-rider to a learner on a 250 than it was moving from the 250 to the 955. Just need to respect the machinery.

9. the girls don't point and snigger as much
  10. It's the cold weather damn it , the cold weather :shock: .
  11. Manouverability is the biggest difference beyond the obvious power difference.

Big bikes are less manouverable at slow speed. It can catch you unawares for the first few weeks... you need more skill than just trailing the rear brake.

12. Of course dave, of course...

*snigger* *snigger*
  13. Everything happens ffffffffaster, you've got to adjust your reflexes. Good news is it takes a very short time for that to happen. Enjoy!
  14. He he he he :p he he :LOL: love it!
  15. Oh and the big bike bit..... Size, weight, seat height DAMNIT, and the awesome POWER mmmmmm

So easy to let it go to your head.
  16. As mentioned, the weight and power differences were one of the first things I noticed when I went from a 250 to a 600. Having got used to where the needle on the speedo pointed going at 80km/h, it was about 100km/h on the 600 as i rode it home from the city. Both my fiancee and her dad also commented on the above 2 differences. When her dad is 1km ahead of me on GPX250, and without changing gears you fly past him, he decides that he wants to change bikes.

There are also the normal differences that you find between most bikes. Different Fuel Economy, turning circle, braking distance, how much wider the bike is (useful to know if lane spliting), ease of carrying a pillion,
  17. The pensioners in thier barina's won't pass you anymore!
  18. Small bikes = teach you how to ride

Big Bikes = teach you how to ride fast

then, you go back to...............

Small bikes = teach you how to ride really fast to keep up with your mates who still have big bikes

then, if you're pretty good.................

A Smaller bike still = because you still kept leaving them for dead :twisted:
  19. I was going to rebutt that remark, but reconsidered: he IS riding a CB250.
  20. remind me to take a helicopter when I ride with you then Spiky :LOL: