Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bigger Bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Owen, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Just wondering how many of you bought a bike bigger than 250cc when you were still restricted, which of you got caught, and how much trouble you got in.

Ive been riding for about 14 months and still have ages left til my R-date, am really tempted to upgrade anyway.

2. i dont know how the licensing laws work in adelaide but maybe you should just stick it out. your not any more special than anyother rider out there.

every1 has had to go through restrictions, its a part of the biking life.
  3. I say stick with the Zeal..unless you have all your riding skills all patted down else you're just getting power hungry..we all crave more power

Oh go look at insurance...that's a REAL big put off...until you're 25 and over anyway or you're loaded
  4. Yah but its kinda annoying seeing as im originally from darwin, and in darwin you can just do one 8hour andvanced course and you are automatically unrestricted.
  5. insurance stinks.
  6. I got my L's in August 2005. In February 2006 I got a) my R-Date licence and b) a Honda Hornet 600, which I can't ride due to restrictions.
    I have ridden it a total of twice, both times no further than round the block.

Basicly you're not covered by insurance if you have an accident on a bike you cannot legally ride. if you do intend to buy a bigger bike early I suggest you do what I did - start modifying it so you're not tempted to ride it.
  7. Move back to Darwin, problem solved!!!

I do understand where your coming from and can only agree with the others advice, do your time under R's and you will come to appreciate the bigger bike more and probably respect it much more.

8. Heh i would if i didnt have damn uni!!!!
  9. In NSW, according to this

its a $384 fine. But of course there is the insurance thing.. Makes me wonder Iif I could afford a 600 before I'm 25... I'll check NRMA..

For example a 1998 Kawasaki Zx6r Mbike 599 CC, one of the bikes I was looking at for upgrade, it would cost $1,284.68 annually for comprehensive with 9000 agreed covered amount.

Thats saying I was 20 with 2 years driving experience (the equiv of what I'll be when I upgrade). AND thats with my dad of 40+ years of experience listed as primary rider. So for me its not that much, I'll try taking dad out as primary rider..

Holy crap. Well I guess its nice having an oldie as primary :)
  10. We've been through this one a few times here, so it might be worth searching on this topic. My advice is to stick with the smaller bike until you're unrestricted: you're not covered by insurance if you ride the bigger one, and if you ride it into the back of a Mercedes or something there goes a big chunk of your wages for a lot of years.
  11. + 1 what he said exactly
  12. Quoted from here
    List of bikes approved

13. If you stack it, you're rooted.

3rd party property and comprehensive insurance won't cover you in the event of an accident.

Health insurance may tell you to get stuffed also - check.

I passed up a great deal on an R6 for these reasons.
  14. I had a mate who hade a gixxer 600 and came unstuck on the putty rd, lucky for him his dad was a rider and the bike was insured in his name so he got the cash. However, just realise if you get caught, or crash, there goes everything.
  15. you can always go back to darwin, get the N.T licence, come back with it and if you get caught show the officer the licence and tell them you're legally allowed to ride the bigger bike and that your just visitiing
  16. well i got my P's and after 6 months went to a bigger bike.
    Never got pulled over or had an accident - although if i did i think i would have pulled out my brothers name
  17. Personally I don't think it's a good idea. I have had quite a few friends who have done it and none of them got caught. They were on older bikes though hence easier to hide the fact that your bike isn't a 250.
  18. I dont have insurance anyway, dont see the use in comprhensive unless your bike is worth HEAPS. And how many people have ridden INTO a mercedes as apposed to being driven into? I would say almost none.
  19. I don't get it, if I'm only listed as a secondary rider with comprehensive, I'm still covered comphrehensively yeh?
  20. Im pretty sure that if you are involved in an accident with a car while driving a bike you are not licenced to ride, you won't be covered if you're injured.