Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Big Thanx!!! :)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Chubz, Dec 30, 2005.

1. As some of you may know by now, I experienced my first off yesterday afternoon.

I was out riding with AnotherMacca at Flinders yesterday when I knocked up my first Whoopsie.

I was behind Macca after leaving Flinders and was entering the left, right sweepers at Berry Rd when it occured. I went a little wide on the left sweeper and corrected myself by the time I hit the right sweeper.

I was going about 85km/h but had backed of the throttle completely as I saw some gravel ahead of me just at the right sweeper. I tried braking and riding through and out of the gravel but nope, didn't work. I ended up getting target fixation on the grass at the side of the road and went straight off.

Once over the gravel, I hit the grass and a few bumps which gave me a bad case of tank slap and then I ended up high-siding on a really big bump.

I remember seeing ground, sky, ground, sky, bike, ground, sky, bike and all I could think of was "CRAP!!! The bike's gonna land on me and squish me!!!" :shock: :shock: :shock: When I finished my afternoon show of acrobatics and came to a rest in a ditch, my bike landed on my right leg so even if I wanted to move I couldn't have.

There was a car behind me and they stopped immediately and came running over to me whilst calling a ambo. They checked me over (as best as they could) whilst on the phone to the ambo's and by this time Macca had done a U-turn and come back looking for me.

Whilst waiting for the ambo, the people from the car held hats and umbrella's over me to keep the sun off me and swatted the fly's away from me. They opened my visor and jacket to allow some airflow as well.

While waiting for the ambo to arrive Macca called his mate and organised for a trailer to take my bike home and also called Dean to tell him what had happened and that all was OK and under control.

Also, some guy appeared above me out of the blue and began checking me over. I though he was ambo but turns out he was just a local who had some sort of Emergency certificate and also rode a bike so he wanted to offer any assistance he could.

When the cops rocked up, they spoke to everyone and then came up to me (the ambo's had arrived so I was on the stretcher by now) and told me all was OK and that nothing would happen. I was to live and learn and to get back out there!!! But not to do this the next time. Hehehehe No, I won't Sir.....

Anyway, now that I have babbled for a bit, the main reason for this post was to shout out a big thanx to AnotherMacca for everything he did for me yesterday!!!! You are a legend and I cannot thank you enough for everything you did for me yesterday. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Also, to the people in the car behind me. I don't know who you are or where you are from but a BIG thanx to you for stopping and helping me. I know I thanked you when I was being loaded into the ambo and you said "How could we not stop after such a fabulous show..." :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Also to the guy from Flinders that offered his assistance, thank you, much appreciated.

Finally, to Danny & Greg (my ambo drivers, they were HILARIOUS and kept me smiling the whole way) and Pam, my nurse, she was an absolute STAR and kept us all laughing (me and my enterage of people.... :oops:)
  2. It is good you are still here to share your story. How is the bike?
  3. The bike is ok. Just cosmetic damage which is surprising.

Not really in the mood to fix it ATM cos I'm really sore but will get to it soon.

Just glad I'm ok. As everyone says, bike's can be fixed & replaced but people can't.
  4. True that. Take your time but make sure u get back on.
  5. Definately!!!

I had already decided I was't gonna let this put me off while I was lying waiting for the ambo's....hehehe

:grin: :grin: :grin:
  6. Thats the shit, good attitude, The only time I wont ride again is when I don't get up.
  7. what a great story.. First you can laugh about your whoopsy, and then all those people willing to help. Main thing is you are ok..
  8. Yeah well considering how much I love my baby, if I didn't laugh about it (now & especially just after the whoopsie) I woulda been in tears....

:oops: :oops:
  9. Good on ya Chubz!

You'll be back on the road in no time at all...best wishes from Shan and myself.

10. sorry to hear about the off Chubz, but glad you're OK. Rest up and get better ;)
  11. Hmmmmm, after my first off, A ducati rider rode past me and kept going. The person who did stop was a car driver and a long lost friend.

Proves that they aren't all out to get you :)
  12. There were actually several bikes went past and slowed down when they got to where I was. Not sure if it was just to sicky beak or if it was cos they could see my bike and they wanted to offer some help.

If it was the later, I'm grateful but I had heaps of help as it was.

But it does show that not everyone out there is a moron and out to get ya.

13. If you hadda seen the norks on her, I wish she was out to get me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  14. Great story and a happy ending, nice to know there are still good folks out there. get well soon Chubz :grin:
  15. good to see some people still care about others. sorry i may have missed it but wat injuries did you get?
  16. hope you are back on the bike soon. make sure you give dean a hard time from all of us.
  17. I have actually walked away a very lucky girl.

I have a nice gravel rash/graze on my left hip and on my right shin. A sore back & neck and had a really bad concusion last night/this morning.

I thought I woulda been heaps worse off considering the speed I was doing and the fact that the bike landed on my leg but I guess my guardian angel was watching me and flying along with me.

Even all of my gear walked away with no damage. My jacket & draggins are tear/scratch free as well as my boots. My gloves have a slight scratch on the knuckles where the mouldi-bits are and my visor is scratched on my helmet but apart from that, all is good :grin: :grin: :grin:

I will live to fight & ride another day....YAY!!!!!
  18. As much as I always go 'ouch' when I start reading these stories, most of the time, this time included, they have happy endings. Chin up, and keep riding..
  19. The damage sounds minimal. which will make it a little bit ezy on the pocket to get it fixed.
  20. I'm very glad to hear that you're OK with minimal damage to self and gear ;)

Seriously though, if you've banged up your scone, which it seems you have done as you've had some concussion - I'd be replacing your helmet even if it doesn't have any scratches on it.

Helmets are there to do a job - they protect your head, but can only do so if their internals are all in good order. Just by looking you can't tell what's happened to the inside of your helmet, so if it's taken a knock, and you value your head, I'd get a nice new helmet.