Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Big single cylinder reliability (KTM 690Duke)

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by luke4224, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Hi guys. Been a while since I posted.

A couple months back I had a slow accident up at Kinglake, light rain and gravel = written off Street Triple R.

I loved that bike, I only had it for 6 weeks and we were separated too soon.

My wife made me buy a car with the insurance money but now I'm looking for a weekend bike. I can't afford another Street Triple but I have found a couple of Duke690's around the 6-7k mark.

This bike ticks all the fun hooligan boxes that I need but I don't know much about the reliability of the big single engines. What I've read it seems like anything, if they're looked after they will last. But I imagine this type of bike has usually been ridden pretty hard.

The two bikes i've found are approaching the 30k km mark both are 2009 models.

Any opinions or advice is welcome.
  2. Your best bet would be to have a look on the LC4 section of ktmtalk, the thumper section of Advrider and maybe ktmforum.co.uk
    They aren't really intended for big touring km but regular town and hills riding shouldn't be an issue. Not as highly stressed as some of the competition-oriented motards.
  3. The big singles aren't too bad at all mate, don't think they've got any significant issues south of 50,000km - and over that all I've heard is Kawasaki 650's using oil... and they're heavy underpowered buggers anyway.

The Duke's are an absolute hoot, but also have a look at VTR1000F's as they are a punchy, good handling bike as well, although not upright like either of your choices but still comfortable to tour/cruise on.

Yes, I have on for sale... full disclosure and may contain traces of nuts.

Cheers, and good luck with the bike search - boingk
  4. Get the Duke.
    Test ride one first though, just to be sure.
    Guaranteed to put a big smile on your face.
    I've heard of guys doing over 100,000km on XR650 thumpers so I reckon you shouldn't have an issue with the Duke.
  5. Here's my Duke :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. That's one huge parrot man.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Plenty of singles going well into the 100,000km+ (see DR650, XR650 etc).

There is a big difference in the state of tune but KTM have a long history with highly tuned singles and a good reputation.

If you like the look and fit the bike then go for it (I'm certainly no kind of expert though).
  8. KLR650 forums have a few 650's rocking 100,000 MILES or more.. thats over 160,000km without a rebuild from their singles. I wouldn't worry about them being unreliable unless you don't maintain it properly.