Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Big bloke......first bike???

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by DaRock, Jun 16, 2009.

1. So I've read through a number of posts in this forum about big blokes and what people think a good first LAMS bike should be. From what I read the GS500 was the most recommended, which I like the look of, but I'm not sure it's possible with my budget.

I'm a touch over 6 foot and pushing 130kg, so I 'm after a bike that will be comfortable and will have enough power to carry me along and still have power when I need it. My budget is no more than $5000- for my bike, though I'd probably want to spend less if I get a 250 and save more for an upgrade later.

Given that, I have a couple of questions:

Do you guys think I'll be able to find a GS500 in good condition within that price easily? I've looked around the net a lot and haven't had much luck.

Are there any LAM's 250's (sports bikes) that would be comfortable for my height and have plenty of power given my size?

Any other suggestions for my budget?
  2. What you need is torque, not power. That means capacity. any of the 250/4s are going to look like someone stuck a toy bike up your arse.

Unfortunately mid capacity bikes were unloved in the Australian market for so long. Which means you are going to struggle to find one less than $5K.

Have you considered a trail bike? Convert to a motard maybe?
  3. I'm in the same position as you. Fat bastard, looking for a LAMS bike to learn on.

You're in luck though, GS500s are around on Ebay, Bikepoint and Trading Post. Just be patient and be willing to travel for it.

Obviously these bikes are popular learners so it might take you a little while, but they are out there.

5 more weeks til my Ls ...
  4. Shamelessley stolen from another forum

5. LOL.....at first I thought he was hugging a peewee.....I defintly want to avoid looking like that O_O
  6. So I spoke to a couple of dealers at lunch time (I work in Melbourne CBD) and both of them recommended Kawa ZZR250's as an alternative. They both said they were "bigger" 250's for my height and one said that the ?"V-twin"? would provide a bit more torque and throttle response.

Does this sounds about right?

How would the ZZR250 stack up for my needs?
  7. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230348248397

GS500 with 11k Km, didn't go for 2 grand. You will be able to buy a lot of bike for 5 grand.

V twin or inline 4, the torque figures from 250 to 250 will not vary by much. I would suggest a GS500 (I had one, and I'm 6'2' and have been up to 108 kg) or other larger capacity bike.

Ebay is your friend, if not for buying a bike, at least it's good for showing the true worth of a bike. Handy for not getting ripped off.
  8. Cheers Mitch. That helps my decision a lot. I'll be keeping my eye out for a GS, or maybe an ER-5 or CB400 for the right price.
  9. keep an eye for a good BMW R65.....could be perfect.

r65 has a lot of character, and the torque of the 650cc twin works well.

I had a gs500 loaner bike for one day...it was very uninspiring!
  10. Actually if I could have had my time again I would have liked an R65. Oh well. I envy you, I always love when it's time to buy another bike! Half of the fun is deciding what bike to get! :grin:
  11. It's a kind of anxious fun at the moment. I'm learning heaps and its exciting.

I think I'll have a better idea after I do my L's course.

Right now a GS500/ER5/SZR660 is hard to get away from in my mind, but I'm also seriously considering getting a cheap ZZR with a few k's on the clock for my first bike. Something I'm not going to be stressing about dropping while I learn. Then I'll figure out where I'm at in 3 to 6 months, what I want to use it for beyond that, and if I'm happy to keep it till I'm unrestricted. Till then it will be a weekend rider anyway.
  12. I'm taller, and a little heavier than you, so I know what you mean.

I shook hands on a GS500 last night for $4500. He's doing the safety cert today/tomorrow.

Keep at it.

13. Congratz on your purchase. I'd be really keen to hear how your new bike goes.
  14. It's great so far. Have had it for all of two hours. Heading back out right now for another ride :grin:

15. A nice alternative to the GS-500 is the KLE-500, my current bike. I'm just over 6 foot (but south of 90kgs) and find that it's plenty big enough. I bought mine new for around $8 thou, but have seen a few selling second hand for around the $5000 mark. Its taller than the GS500. Power is pretty good too. Being dual purpose, it also gives you an offroad option if you wanted to go that way.
  16. I took my GS500 to a track day at Queensland Raceway yesterday. It was awesome!!!!!

I'd like to say it held it's own, but I'm pretty sure it was me who was limiting factor :?

I had the opportunity to do the tuition, and learnt a lot about proper cornering and braking.

The GS500 has ample power for me, especially as I'm a new rider, and especially on the road. I'm very happy with my first bike.