Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

big bike is worse off at slow speed?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by mick No:8, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Just a quick question, I was in traffic the other day and a R1 could not keep up with me "L" in terms of ducking in and out of traffic? he/she was always caught in it. Since the R1 was higher and bigger than my CBR 250 would the centre of balance and wright come into play. If that the case. Should I still hang onto my 250 for weekdays and just buy a bigger bike just for the weekend.

2. As a general rule, a small bike will go where a big bike can't, all other things being equal, but there are a lot of other variables. I'd expect a 600 motard to be better than a 250 race rep for example, on the basis of greater agility and better steering lock.

Rider ability has a lot to do with it too. Observation and anticipation can see you in the right place on the road as part of a natural flow rather than having to wriggle into a gap using the agility of the bike.

I commute on a great blue whale of a BMW R1100RT, complete with the factory cabin trunks and, having cut my biking teeth in the congested UK, have very little trouble in traffic given decent lane widths. Only when things get really squeezy do I have a problem, stopped by my wide, non-folding mirrors. A narrower bike would be an advantage, but not as much as you'd think.

If you want to keep a separate bike for commuting, I can think of better choices than a CBR.

3. If you have the cash, you should buy a bike for every occasion!

I think most of us seasoned riders would like the means to have our 750+cc road-bike, 450 scrub-buster, 650 motard, 1000+cc sports-tourer, a 600class stunter, and a postie-bike just for kicks :grin: -all sitting and ready to be chosen for a ride, in our air-conditioned, spacious aircraft-hangar-garage [protected by Rottweilers and lasers].

You buy what suits the MAJORITY of your riding, as different bikes are better at different things.

4. Couldn't keep up? or couldn't be bothered trying?

Im faster in traffic on a 1000cc then i am on a 250cc. Its all rider dependant.

5. Might just not have been a comfortable splitter, the R1's not exactly a wide bike.

I've kept my 250 for commuting, don't care too much if it gets scratched up and can leave it parked anywhere without fear of damage or theft.

6. c'mon guys, OP is clearly a Street-Rossi

7. :LOL:

Nah, Street-Stoner, Rossi was on the R1.

8. Well sometimes I lane-split, other times I don't mind sitting in the general flow. It all depends on how much of a rush I'm in, and also how cop-marked the road is!!!

9. Can't lane split on the Tuono like I did on the ZX9 - massive bars on it! And probably easier to lane split on the GPX250 than it was on the 9.... but there are certainly some bikes that are better than others for splitting. :)

10. Why would you assume he could not keep up with you? That is a bit arrogant to assume he was even trying...

Maybe he was quite happy where he was....Not everyone has to duck and weave.

11. I've seen some youtube clips of blokes on 1000cc supersport bikes treating traffic like a slalom course, moving like you wouldn't believe.

So IMO its all about balls and skill.

12. You were probably slowing him down...he was looking for another way around you.

13. cagers on a majority get the shits with bikes splitting, ever think that as they seen you go past they close the gaps seeing another bike coming up, i know there are some drivers out there that will move over, i have muscled my old mans cruiser through peak hour at the posted limit of 100 when the traffic was moving at 60, it's all about picking the gaps as they become available, and if there is arrogant cagers around they will close them if they can hold up one bike

14. Apart from the width difference of bikes, larger bikes are heavier. While they can be squeezed through relatively tight spaces, the extra weight at very low speeds combined with the seat height can make things a little more teeter-tottery for the rider, if he needs to put his foot down at any point.
    It's just the difference in bikes in those situations really.

15. I ride a 250 and mostly don't see any need to split (30+ degree heat excluded).

If i upgraded to a thou i don't think i'd be much different (in regards to splitting anyways).

Its probably moreso the rider than the bike.

16. I was once a pillion on a enormous bike that was lane splitting at 60+kph without missing a beat.

scared the hell out of me initially, but was also a shit load of fun!!! at the end, I was thirsty for more.

so yeah i recon it's more a case of either a) the rider couldn't be fooked or b) he wasn't comfortable splitting.

17. The R1 rider must not of been that good ;)

18. What on earth does that mean???

19. I use my 1800 Suzuki cruiser for commuting, touring, and fun.

I dont split, but I do filter, as most of my riding is in peak hour traffic.

Havent noticed any problem with the width - if I dont think I will fit, I hold up.

The commute takes 35-40 mins in car - 15-20 mins on bike, without being an idiot with regard to speeds.

Low centre of gravity, wider tyres - lazy steering - makes for easy low speed work.

20. My first bike was a hyosung comet 250 and I reckon it's no different on the beemer now. Some days I'm slower, some days quicker, depends how I'm feeling and how late I am for work. I often find myself going slower so I can catch a red light and have fun accelerating again. Sad, but true.