Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bicycle Computer as a Speedometer?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by colourclassic, Jan 24, 2010.

1. G'day, first post here. Hope this hasn't already been answered...

I have been toying with the idea of doing a budget streetfighter mod to my Honda VT250 (one more year of restrictions).

Basically, I would be removing the tacho/speedo cluster on my bike and in its place installing a bicycle computer. The bicycle computers are more accurate at telling speed than the current analogue unit is. The only downside I can think of is loss of tacho and temp gauge, though neither of those bother me much. The main thing I'm worried about is the legality of doing this, as I am effectively binning the factory gauges and replacing them with a push bike computer. I live in Melbourne (VicRoads) if that helps/matters.

Anyone know if i can do this legaly?
  2. I doubt it, I am sure there is some regulation that stops you from doing it, something along the lines of not being ADR approved or something.

The other side to the coin is, in my opinion the numbers on most bike speedos are quite small (eg hard to read)...
  3. Sorry I cant help you with the legal side of it. The best bet is too ring them. Their just people and usualy decent. I used pushy readouts on my KTM's all the time till they came out with digital. Works fine.
  4. They're usually pretty clueless when it comes to things like this, but I'll give them a call anyway.
  5. I've ridden long-term on a bicycle speed on a couple of bikes. Looked into it in case I wanted to sell with a RWC, and I think it was simply a matter of needing a back-light, but I can't remember for sure and I reckon - as with many things regarding RWCs - it depends on the inspector.

If you get one, make sure it's one where you enter the wheel dimensions, not with with bicycle circumferences pre-set. And make sure it'd back-lit, for your own ease - even in the city it can be hard without one, but the speed cameras don't care.

There's often a nice little street-fighter out the front of Safeway in Drummond St, Carlton, which I think is a VT250.

Another cool thing, is to get a remote digital speedo, and mount it on a wrist-band, and have no instruments on the bike! (Beyond an idiot light or two.) Keep all your parts handy in case you get defected.
  6. Perfect answer, thanks for that! Do you have any knowledge of which models work best? I hear Sigma makes decent ones, as long as they are the wired versions. Do any come from the factory with backlighting or will it be a matter of chopping in an LED?
  7. When you find one you like I strongly suggest you check out wiggle.

Got my girlie a Cateye vectra wireless the other day (no back light for the record), from wiggle, $35, locally, $99.95.

They have a decent range as well.
  8. I think you need a non resettable odometer to be legal, I have an acewell on my cafe racer, only 60mm across but has speedo, tacho, clock, odometer and two trip meters. Backlight and all that as well and obviously adjustable for wheel diameter. Not as cheap as a bike speedo but it was around $130 delivered to myplace from the US.