Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bex37 Central Coast NSW GSX750FL 1990

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Bex37, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Just bought a bike a month ago after about 15 years break. It's just a cheapy to commute to and from work.

I live on the Central Coast NSW but am working in outback South Australia at a mine. And no, I don't ride the bike that far to work :facepalm:

The work I do is fly-in fly-out so I'm at the mine 9 days each fortnight. I commute through the outback about 6km each way. With these short days I'm riding both ways in the dark and am a bit nervous about the kangaroos. 8-[

The nearest winding road is probably 500km from here so that's a bit frustrating.

Anyway, seem to have picked up the old skills pretty quickly although haven't really put them to the test either.

Also have to say the information available on this site about learning to ride is awesome. Wish that was around back in the seventies.

The bike, a Suzuki GSX750 FL 1990 (see avatar) is all I could get out here for under $2000 that would also give me some sort of fun element. I'm also doing a bit of work on it which was part of the plan - to give me something to do at nights - but that's backfiring a bit with the short days too.

Anyway, I'll be hanging around here a bit when I'm on-shift so g'day :)

2. Hi Bex, Welcome. Maybe worth some extra lights to get a better look at night.
  3. Yeh good idea. But I can't get high beam because there's usually a queue of traffic. Perhaps some driving lights that point a bit sideways into the scrub? Is that a bit rediculous or has it been done?
  4. No not a silly idea, it has been done. You can't do a lot on the opposing traffic side but at least you can light up the scrub. May give you advance warning of a roo. Some of the LED lights made for the adventure biker crowd are pretty good now days.

Or LED driving lights low power high brightness.
  5. Wow, I've literally spent five minutes surfing NR as a member and already learnt something really cool. That's tops! Thanks Chris
  6. *nods* i'd see if i could sort out a switch and use them to the same extent you would highbeams...mount them facing both left and right of the road infront of you....you'll stand out like dogs balls but hopefully being rural the police won't bother you too much if you explain your reasoning and make sure you never use them when you have oncoming traffic heading your way....but i'm sure you already knew that :]
  7. Welcome Bex from another Central Coast bloke.

9 days working in SA leaves 5 days riding around here, if my maths is correct.

Much better roads round here by the sounds of it, too, when they are dry at least.
  8. Welcome back to riding.

You should see if you can find some pictures of the old 1980s Endurance Racers from Europe; those blokes REALLY knew about lighting!!!
  9. Thanks for the tips guys. Keeping this brief though as got problems with internet at the moment and lucky to get this much out. Cheers