Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Beware - Fair Weather Riders

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Rattus Norvegicus, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Sweetie's I'm not intentionally wishing to be provocative - Old Sydney Town had a weekend of gorgeous weather and all manor of bikes and riders were enjoying perfect riding conditions.

Darlings here's the rub, whilst tootling along on leisurely rides over the weekend I observed a plethora of riders (not P Platers) whom were struggling with what I would call base fundamentals. Sugarplums I decided to position myself behind a number of riders to observe their form or lack there of.
    It would seem that corner entry became a major conundrum. One could have being forgiven for thinking the festive season had appeared early with the number of blinking red lights through different stages of the corner.

Is anyone else noting this? Or am I singular in my observations?
    I do have the propensity to be a bit of a biatch......
  2. Nothing bitchy about that at all. I (embarrassingly enough) am a returning sportsbike rider (been nearly three years since last proper ride on a sporty) and ended up sitting a long way at the back of a ride I would have happily sat in the middle of years ago. I found my corner entry and general reading of the corners to be poor at best. Having said this, I don't ride beyond my limits...never have and never will. Many seem to come unstuck by feeling they have to keep up with the Jones's.....

I have added incentive these days to keep things rubber side down and yesterday even more so with both parents of my child on the same bike....
  3. i'd rather they braked at odd points in the corner than end up on the wrong side of the road or off the road, if not for their sake, for their bikes :D
  4. I am a fair weather rider
  5. I must say that yesterday I was pleasantly surprised by the LACK of bimbling riders; courtesy and co-operation were everywhere to be seen. Even the guy on the Ducati didn't seem to mind me overtaking him just before the Ten Mile....
  6. We had a brilliant day yesterday in Melbourne, and I saw more bikes than usual as I did a couple of laps of the Albert Park circuit on my way to fuel up the bike. Then again this morning, I saw many more scooters and bikes on the way to work than I'd been seeing over the past few months.

I guess the message is we should watch out for fair weather riders - and if you are a fair weather rider yourself you should ease back into it to minimise the chance of a mishap. October is usually a bad month for motorcycle statistics, and we don't want to give the powers that be any more ammunition to crack down on us.
  7. This is exactly the reason I created the NOOB 10x cornering series which are stickified in the new riders section.

Shocking to see such appalling skills isn't it!
  8. meh I rode a R1 straight after getting my L's and I am a fair weather rider --- I never once was pulled over or had any issues with other road users

Some of us are actually very competent even if we do not ride regularly

we may not be fast - but then again not everyone is a speed junkie
  9. ML, it's not about speed alone. It's about lack of cornering skill... or perhaps you were reading a different OP??
  10. I think i saw you exiting there yesterday Zenali, you were just turning on to Albert Rd (i'm assuming black Trumpy from your pic) and i was at the lights waiting to turn into Clarendon St (silver Fireblade) and we exchanged nods.
  11. Ratty, you naughty, bitchy Agent Provocateur !
    Indeed, I too have been a chortling observer of skill deficient riders, their toddler like rider antics not only demonstrated during inclement weather, but during sunny gorgeous butterfly days as well.
    My goodness, some of these lads and ladettes when stationary cannot even turn the handlebars without dropping their resplendent machinery of joy.
    Let us hope they do not come a cropper !
  12. Sweetie, I have a growing admiration for the intellectual property of this site as well as the proactive nature of the "Learners Program".

Sugarplums, I am not gifted with natural talent, but have honed my skills at the track - it's an interpretive perception on one's own capabilities, I have run out of talent at Honda on more than one occasion......
  13. might want to remember, that some of us only have themselves and video's and threads to learn from, which are next to shit in comparison to tutoring from experienced riders... not saying i brake mid turn, but i'm certainly not skilled in the twisty areas.
  14. Listen to what experienced riders tell you, It may mean jackshit at the time to you, But it will be in your head when the moment comes and you need it, It may save your skin,
    Riding slowly through the twisties will give you more than experience, It will teach you to ride, Speed will come automatically as your confidence grows and your riding ability improves,
    Ride at your pace, And dont be egged on by clowns, it will get you into trouble.
  15. Yep - that was me. There was another Trumpy doing the rounds, but they had gone before then, and from memory it was a red Speed Triple.

It is a nice way to make a 2 block trip to the servo into a bit of a ride. :)
  16. I am not a Fairweather rider, but I dont often get to go to the twisties.

I was coming back to Melb from sale and hit up the Willow Grove Rd to Yarra Junction, I made a number of mistakes on not looking at the right exit point.

I guess my point is if you dont practice, getting out of practice and be very bad as well. Lucky for me I am not a fast rider and could correct my self before something bad did happen.
  17. "Sweetie, sugarplums" is rattus...???
  18. 8,000+ km during the past 4mths...in NOT-so fair, Melbourne freezing weather : Hmmm, weather-wise, I can guarantee I'm not one of these !

You are so right though, thefloppy1 - riding in a straight line is easy. Increasing ones skills through more technical riding/manoeuvres does require constant revisiting and adjusting, ultimately leading to improved ability, confidence and overall safety.
    Practice (and the right technique) leads to perfect.
  19. There are a lot of people out there whose skills are more than a little dubious. I think the worst efforts I ever saw were those of a guy on a Moto Guzzi Sport going down the east coast of Tasmania.

There were four of us in a rented Mitsubishi Lancer, and we sat behind him for about fifty kilometres wondering when he was either going to either come off or hit someone coming the other way. It was the usual blast along the straights and then brake inappropriately at each corner.
  20. If you don't use it, you loose it. Applies to every skill you learn.