Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Between a rock and a hard place.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Bosco, Jun 17, 2008.

1. was on my way to class, on the freeway doing 100km/h.... in the right lane, right track traffic around,keeping my distance behind a 4x4 in the left lane so he can see me... see a gap ahead for me to make it passed him and keep my space.

as i come up next to his window, watching him, i see this 4x4 coming over get on the brakes (nobody behind) he eventually swerves back left....
    starts to swear etc to me i pull up next to him again this time giving him two fingers before accelerating off.
    He never looked in his mirrors before changing lanes, just came over.

What should i have done in this situation? was i doing something wrong? If so what should I do next time to improve my riding and insuring I dont become the meat in a 4x4 concrete divider sandwich.

2. Get used to it. Some people look an see you half way over the lane, and swerve back, some just keep coming.

There are lots of thing you can do but the best is not be in that situation, or minimise the time spent their.

Probably best to be in the left wheel track as you might be a bit more visible.
    Watch the traffic all around, generally if its banking up infront of the guy on the left, expect him to move into your lane.

Or just do what i do, and ignore speed limits(to a reasonable extent) to keep yourself safe(far far away) from everyone. But i got a litre bike so its pretty easy to do:).
    What i do is generally never ride along side anyone, unless they have most definatly seen me. If your slowly coming up along side someone its unlikely they have seen you or know your there.

Its often good to watch the drivers hand on the steering wheel as you get close to them, also accelerate past them so you spend less time in the potential death zone ;)

There are lots of differnt ways to overcome these problem but it depends on what works for you.
    Just always be prepared to take action to get yourself out of trouble, either getting on the throttle/brakes or coutersteering the hell outa there.

Cheers Karl
  3. ride like you are invisible
    NEVER ride beside a car
    pass wide and FAST!!!!!
  4. Yep, my method's pretty much been summed up already. you're still going to hear it though. :p

- on two lane roads: if you're in the right hand lane, sit in that left wheel track. Slightly more visibility, plus more options to move around if you get into trouble.

- NEVER ride alongside someone. I find it's much safer to forget the speed limit for the two seconds it takes to open the throttle and put yourself ahead of them, then slow it back down. (within reason - i'm talking 10km/h over, not 30)

- always, always, ALWAYS expect that the driver you're about to pass is one of the people who NEVER check their mirrors or blind spot before merging.
  5. Guys some advice please, had a somewhat similar experience with Bosco on Sunday.

Was riding along the ED coming back from the Monday coffee meet, doing the speed limit in the right hand lane (because I had to turn right). I checked, there were no cars behind me, a few in the left lane but those were still a fair way behind me.

All of a sudden this four wheel drive swerved in front of me from the left, cut me off and proceeded to speed straight ahead at about 120 odd km/s. No indicator to turn right at all, nor did he have a safe distance between me and his car when he merged. :? He MUST have seen me considering he was coming from the left & back, right?

I was stunned because if I had been going any faster he would have clipped me. I was in the right hand side of the lane, not the middle, which I think helped me avoid an acco. I usually have a quick check of my mirrors and sides every few hundred metres or so, but this bloke took me by surprise. I try to be very aware of what's around me but maybe I'm doing something wrong here.

Some advice on maybe (a) what I did wrong, (b) how to be more aware ?

Thanks all. Still a wee bit shaken after that and some stuff that happened to Peaches on Monday. :(

6. Not much you could have done (other then checked the mirrors a bit). F**n idiots have no quick solution. (Other then the .303 solution)

For the OP, the tactic that works best with myself - http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h143/instantexpert/Tactics.jpg

As stated, however, just put distance between you and whomever you tag as an "idiot"
  7. All good tips here. I wasn't aware of trying not to ride side by side with cars though. I'll add that to my bag of skills.

The speed limit thing still gets me. Posted at 80 and everyone's doing 90, or is that just Canberra drivers? I'm trying to keep to the limit, I really don't want to lose my L's, riding is too much fun.

Also, when you are in the right hand lane and have a wide median strip on your side, watch out for the f**kwit dirt bike rider who uses it as their personal road. Damn c**t did it to me this morning near the Woden Hospital :evil:
  8. Yep .. typical on our roads.
    All Good advice here, rs101 .. great diagram mate
    Good one ! ALWAYS keep an eye out, however, if you can avoid it, do NOT ride alongside vehicles. If you need to pass .. do it quickly so you are spending the min amount of time alongside them.

Bottom line, ride like you are invisible, expect the unexpected and ALWAYS have a buffer or an escape route.
  9. Assuming your turn was within a kilometre or so, you probably didn't do anything wrong. Some people do excessive speed for the conditions and drive/ride dangerously while doing so.

I had a recent moment like that on the Hume, though it wasn't a 4x4 blowing past me but a Hyundai Excel moving at a fair rate of knots, with the driver hunched forward like a dwarf jockey urging a shetland pony to go faster. :LOL:

This is an annoyance I have with motorcycles, actually. In a car the rear vision mirror is perpetually visible, in the peripheral vision - Things behind you will 'catch your eye' even if you're looking forwards the whole time. On most bikes the only time you ever see behind is if you make a conscious effort to peek at one of the mirrors.

Clearly I need one of these - http://www.reevu.com/

I'm not sure what you could do differently in the future. Sometimes you just get that one-in-a-million person hoofing it at 160kph in a 100 zone, and no (reasonable) amount of mirror checking will spot them before they're on top of you. :-k
  10. There really is'nt alot you can do, beyond keeping your eyes peeled and letting your intuition grow as you get more experienced.
    The fact is....often we are not seen...it's just something that happens. And there are ALOT of poor drivers on the road, that cocooned in their cars and feeling safe, see no threat from a motorcycle and as a result will not give us the space we deserve or need.

If you can accept that, ride accordingly and just get on with it, you stand a better chance. :)

BTW...don't bother with the hand gestures etc...while you are doing THAT, you are'nt riding the bike as you should be. (easier said that done, I know)

11. Doesn't work all the time but when you see a car moving over on you - try using the horn (obviously brake/swerve as needed as well).
  12. I like it when you're right beside the door, almost within peripheral vision (letalone even a slight glance!) and you apply the horn... But they keep drifting into your lane as they look at their rear vision mirror, over their other shoulder... "Who's beeping at me?!" :LOL:
  13. Yep, been there. Wonder if it would be possible to design a horn that could shatter glass :-k :twisted:.
  14. I think that’s one of the things that I have to learn. To use the bloody horn. :?

I’ve never had much cause to use it much before and for some bizarre reason I’ve always been hesitant to use it. Must tell myself to make use of it more to make sure people know I’m there. :(

15. That's what it's there for ;)
    Though unfortunately most people in this country seem to think it's only there as a f*&k-you button - so can sometimes be unpredictable when you beep them.
  16. The Stebel Compact at 139dB may not shatter glass but it vibrates it!!

Haven't had a chance to use it for real (quite happy to leave it that way) but it is a cracker.

17. Hmm, I really must look into getting one of those.
  18. Bosco & Peaches, your questions reminded me of a thread a while back from Vinnie,who was having trouble being seen. Sometimes people won't see you anyway, but there are things you can do to increase your chances. I'd especially be looking at both how long you're beside a vehicle or in it's blind spot, and which part of the lane you're using.

Peaches, could you have been too close to the edge, making the highway look free and clear? Chances are they were just trying to scare you, and they might have done that because you looked vulnerable and scared over to the edge.

I always think it's better to increase visibility by claiming my lane (left wheel track of right lane, & visa versa) and have the option to move over if necessary, rather than being in the right and having nowhere to go. ... unless they're more likely to see you in the right at that particulary moment, or there are potholes, etc... Body language, lane position, etc can make a world of difference.

What happened? You ok?
  19. Hey Pinx,

Yeah I’m good. I stalled Peaches on Monday at a junction just outside my driveway because she was cold. Because the surface was wet from the rain, my foot slipped and I couldn’t catch her so she went down – buffered by yours truly.

Suffered some bruises is all but what really upset me was when I got back home, I accidentally tapped her left mirror gently and the whole thing fell off. The mirror had broken at the base. Sigh. Jeff’s made a call to Sydney City so I’ll get a replacement for the mirror soon.

I know people drop their bikes et all, but I guess I’m just kind of upset at my own carelessness and the harm that came to the bike.

Oh well. Lesson learned.

1. Warm up bike properly before ride.
    2. Release clutch more gently if engine is cold
    3. Don’t. Drop. Peaches.

ps - it was a nice taxi man who saw me getting up from Peaches, and he quickly came out of the car to help me pick her up. thank you mr Taxi!