Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

better late than never

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by pkj24, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Hi all, just ticked over the big 30 and have always had an interest in bikes. Always liked the older school bikes, be it a cafe racer or bobber style or similar. Looking at getting my L's towards the end of this year and researching what bike to get. My wife may also be keen, I'm working on it ](*,)

Not sure what my first bike should be, might end up getting something the Mrs can handle too, we'll see...

2. Maybe something like this?
    [​IMG]
    Of course it really depends on whether you want something new that looks old, or something that is genuinely old.

Either way welcome to NR. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Or this.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346328024.615187.

4. That's awesome! Hadn't looked at that one.

Thanks JD and Mcsenna for the ideas.

Some of the other bikes i've looked at include

• Skyteam Ace 125
    • Sachs Madass 125
    • SACHS X Road 250
    • 2012 KYMCO Venox 250
    • KAWASAKI W 400
    • Honda CT110
    • Yamaha V-Star XVS650 Custom
    • Johnny Pag Malibu 320i
    • HUNTER Daytona
    • HUNTER Bobber
    • LARO ProStreet 350

As you can see, it's a pretty wide selection. Bikes like the XVS650, Hunter, Laro and JP look cool but not sure a) the Mrs could handle them and b) the reliability issues given the chinese parts etc.

The Sachs Madass is a postie bike on Roids, but they are so cheap, would get me and the better half through our L's and P's before I upgraded to something better. Also might help my parents get used to the idea as it looks less full on :eek:hno:

5. Get a Yamaha XVS 650 Custom and be done with it. :)

A good learner bike for both of you which can be kept for a few years as well. Just a tad on the heavy side but after a while you'll get used to it.

And welcome to the forums! (y)

6. I'm with the Lazy Librarian, get the XVS-650 (y) :LOL:

(I don't think the old XS-650 is LAMS approved, and anyway, they cost more than a new bike these days, with all the misty-eyed old owners driving up the prices).

7. Welcome old fella.

Won't find may here old than you around this parts.:rofl:

8. My advice would be to do the course - see how you like riding.
    Then think about the kind of riding you want to do.

TU250X and the XVS650 are very different bikes - least of which is the capacity.

If you want to take sedate jaunts then you'll be better on a cruiser.
    If you want to commute and scratch on the weekend - maybe a naked - something more nimble.
    If you are chasing straight line speed and agility then your heading for a sport bike.

Your LAMS bike will help you decide which way you will ultimately go.

Welcome to NR - good luck with the L's (y)

9. Thanks for the feedback, certainly food for thought. I also understand that it is unlikely the bike i get for my L's / P's will be with me for a long time, it is more of a stepping stone. With that in mind, and after sitting on an XVS650, whilst it is an amazing bike, it is probably a little too much bike for me at this stage.

10. Choice of bike will depend on what you're planning on doing with it. If you intend on spending any amount of time on the highway then I'd be dropping anything less than 250cc from the list (and wouldn't really recomend many of the 250-350cc cruisers either).

If it's purely for city use (ie 60-80) then the smaller bikes should be fine.

11. Hi and welcome

I have a MadAss and let me tell you - it is a fun bike!

The good:
    - Awesome fuel economy Pre-service fuel consumption was 311km on the 5L it holds. After the service, I'm getting just over half that - but still chuffed I can commute back and forth to work on $7 a week.
    - Handling is great - but if you're used to the sport bike feel, then the fully upright position is very hard to get
    - Amazing conversation starter - I've had people at the lights asking me all sorts of questions while waiting, peeps walking over while parked to check it out
    - holds it's re-sale value

Downfalls:
    - When your riding with people on bigger bikes - you can't keep the pace 0 - 70km/h no dramas, anything above takes a while to kick in
    - Windy / Rainy - nothing there to tuck into, so you can't shield yourself from the elements - but on the upside the handling doesnt change much
    - You have to be tall (or have long legs) - the seat height is 835mm

Anyway - whatever you choose, have fun with it! (y) (and for the record - I've already ticked over the 40 mark and just got my L's 2 months ago, riding for 7 weeks)

12. Thanks for the feedback. I'm down on the Mornington Penisula, will most likely spend a lot of my time around the 60, 70 and 80 areas. I know my wife won't want a larger bike, and at least in the beginning we will probably share a bike, so I will probably keep away from the cruisers at least for the moment. It is something I will probably look at after a bit of experience, and as you say, I can then look at something with a little more power.

13. Thanks for the feeback! Great to hear from someone who actually has a MadAss.

Sport bike feel isn't really an issue as I haven't ridden much before so will adapt to whatever the seating position is on the bike. Speed isn't so much of an issue either, so as long as it's ok in the 60-80 range it should be fine for me and my wife, at least for the shorter term.

14. All you young pups make me laugh! I turned 57 the day I rode my first bike on the road for the first time.

For the record I've got a Suzuki GSX250F 'Across'. It's old but I'm finding it not only easy to ride but a huge amount of fun. Not too heavy, and not a huge investment to cry over when I drop it for the first time, although I'll be well pissed off as I'm getting quite attached to my little bike!

The sooner you get started the sooner you can start having fun!

Cheers
    JM

15. Welcome to NR!

If you want, drive on down to Saturday practice - meet a stack of NRs and get to see a multitude of different bikes in one spot. Doesn't matter if you're not riding yet.