Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Better headlights?

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by CraigJog, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Hey all, I'm brand new to these forums and also quite new to 2 wheels. My ride is a '04 Yamaha Jog, at least I was told that it is a 2004 model, it looks quite different to some others that I have seen online. It has the headlight mounted high up on the handlebars/headstem rather than down lower on the fairing, and has drum brakes on the front and rear.

I'm pretty impressed with the performance of the scooter in terms of the maneoverability (it weighs 62kg I am lead to believe) and acceleration, but it is booked in for a "stage one" upgrade in a few short weeks, and to have the 55'ish km/h speed limiter removed. This was decided upon after being overtaken up a steep'ish hill by a tray truck that was carrying another truck on it, as well as the added security of being able to travel at the signposted speedlimits on most roads here in Adelaide.

The headlights are what worry me, as visibility at night is very poor, and my question is this; is it possible for me to upgrade whatever type of globe that there is in the light assembly for something that will produce more light, or will I have to add some sort of spotlight? The voltage on a scooter is the regular 12-volts I am assuming?

Thanks in advance for your replies,
    Cheers, Craig.
  2. Yes it is 12 volts, you might be able to add an extra light, you probably
    won't easily upgrade the existing light.

If you do add an extra light, beware of using too much power so that
    your engine cannot power it and it sucks power out of the battery,
    leading to you having a dead battery.

These bikes were designed for use in cities with good streetlights,
    sadly that is not always the case in Australia.
  3. Hotcam is spot on. In Taiwan, they may not need such good lights because its so built up everywhere and the headlights are more so that you can be seen rather than to actually see things.

First step would be to chuck the bulb out and put in a good replacement one. This may make enough difference. If not then look at additional lighting, but it probably wouldnt be worth the cost given the very low price of the whole scoot.
  4. [​IMG][​IMG]
    Like this?
    I have it on a trickle charger at home, cos it does suck a bit much power otherwise.
  5. I asked a very similar question on another Oz Scooter Forum... rather than list some of the options I was given here's a link to the thread (Hope that doesn't break any local forum rules here)

Hope the info/suggestions are of help/interest....

Have Fun... Ride Safe....