Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best way to start a dropped bike?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Carita, Mar 9, 2015.

1. I dropped my Ninja a couple of hours ago when I was trying to get it up onto our porch...It was a stationary drop...But now it won't start :( I've read a few different things like trying with the throttle open, or the choke and throttle, or that if you get it started but there's oil where it shouldn't be it can damage the bike so to take the spark plugs out...What's the best way to get it started and be sure it will start subsequent times?

The silver lining is I now know that I can pick my bike up all by myself!

2. Do the lights come on when you turn the ignition on?
    Does the spark plug spark?

Also killswitch / sidestand? (obvious but easy to forget to check if you're flustered)

• Like Like x 1
  3. As stated above when you say won't start do you mean won't turn over or will turn over but not fire? If won't turn over check as in post above.

If it turns over but won't start, being a bit harder to start after a drop is pretty normal. They will sometimes flood when dropped so try opening throttle a bit and cranking a bit longer than normal with choke off.

However, never ever turn over a bike for more than about 5-10 seconds at a time. You can overheat the starter and/or starter wiring and burn it out, which can be expensive. if you need to turn over longer do it in bursts and give a rest in between.

it is unlikely you will have got sufficient oil or fuel in the wrong place to damage the engine so you probably don't need to pull the plugs unless it persists in not starting in which case you should pull them to check you have spark.

Once it starts it may smoke for a short bit but should be OK from then on.

4. Hi Carita, bad luck about dropping the bike, but nearly all of us do it some time or other, you're not alone!

From your welcome thread I see that it's a 2011 250 ninja. Do you know if that model is fuel injected? If so
    it's very likely to have a tilt switch/anti drop safety built into it which needs resetting. I have no experience with resetting these, just guessing it might even need the battery disconnected for an interval. cjvfrcjvfr might be the man to offer better advice.

EDIT:
    After a bit of Googling I found this; http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Understanding/troubleshooting_the_safety_switches

Good luck.

5. Thanks guys....It started!!! I guess I needed patience instead of panic. I took it for a 30 minute ride and all hunky dory. Fingers crossed she's still sweet tomorrow morning!
    Gunissan I will definitely check out that ninja website

• Like Like x 1
  6. Turn key on ,turn on kill switch , and push the start button powwwww your bike starts .