Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best way to sell a bike?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by R0SSC0, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Well I just passed my license test today, but I'm moving to the U.K in 2 weeks, which means the Suzuki Across has to go. I've never sold a bike (or a car for that matter). What classifieds option (trading post, bikesales, bikepoint, netrider, ebay) do people recommend?? I'll be selling it cheaper than I've seen them anywhere, as I want a quick sale, so I'd rather not pay too much to advertise. Any advice is appreciated.

P.S. I did a quick search, and couldn't find any previous posts that had the info I'm after. My apologies if my search wasn't thorough enough!

P.P.S This thread is by no means intended to be an add itself.

2. Use them all. And put up the ebay add with 7 days to sale, and buyer must pick up within 5 days of sale or something like that. Or, leave it with a friend/family member to sell?

3. Wouldn't using all end up costing too much? It would probably get me quick sale though. I'd rather sell b4 I go... no one in my family has experience with bikes.

4. I'll sell it for you. 5% commission... I'm a good salesman =D
    I'm serious I've done this before.

But if you're not keen, the best (fastest) way to sell a bike is to find out how much its worth (insurance) and drop a couple of hundred.

5. Ebay charge you a listing fee depending on start price and final fee as a % of final sale figure.
    Start the auction at 99c with no reserve and no buy it now and invite buyers to check it out. Its technically against the rules but there is not much stopping you agreeing a figure with the buyer then cancelling the auction and conducting the sale privately thus only being up for a nominal advertising fee (couple of bucks).
    Ive bought a bike and sold a car like this on ebay. Take little heed of ebay horror stories , its just a selling platform.

Recently sold my bike on gumtree , thats completely free.
    It did attract a few spastics but once you weed them out there are lots of genuine buyers out there. The first serious guy that looked at it bought it after it was only advertised for a 6 days. Ive had several genuine inquiries since as Im too lazy to take the advert down.

6. Got insurance? Ghost it off a pier...

pics or it didn't happen.

7. I just sold my girlfriends bike. ebay. First guy who called came to see it and bought it. The ad was only up for 2 days.

8. Did you do the same thing that Komanche Sly did? Ebay is sounding like a good option...

9. otherwise, there's always the broker option... but a bikesales ad at a low price will get a bit of attention, given it's the start of summer...

10. Ebay charge a set rate for bikes, not as quoted above, it is $5.00 insertion fee and $40.00 fee if it sells. http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/fees.html

Bikesales is one of the better ways I have found to sell, but can take longer, they charge $50.00 (used to be $25.00).

If you want it to go quick, put a cheap price on ebay....

11. It looks like gumtree was a good option. After putting it up, I got a fair few calls and emails. It ended up selling to a guy from NSW. I did list and sell it very cheap, but I was pretty happy with the amount of feedback i got.

+1 for gumtree. Competely free. Brilliant.

I've also got a couple of cars that I'm selling quite cheaply (cheaper than the bike) without reg/rwc. I'll give gumtree a crack.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys.

Ross