Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best way to recharge a flat Battery

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by zhenjie, Oct 15, 2005.

1. I ride a Honda NSR150SP and for some reason my battery has been flat for well over 2months. I've still been able to start it up and ride it but I think its time to recharge the battery as the bike seems to stall at idle especially when high beams are turned on and brake lights are activated.

Being a complete noob and Honda wanting to charge $150 for a owners manual I simply have no idea how to get the battery charged up again.

Whats the best procedure for charging it up?
  2. ~if~ the battery still has life in it, buy a trickle charger... should set you back about $40 and is a handy thing to have.
  3. Yeah, battery charger.
  4. Battery is charged by the bikes alternator, it should never go flat while the bikes running.

Either your alternator is faulty and supplying hardly any power, bad wiring/connection, or the battery is just at the end of its useful life.
    After the bike stalls does it start up with plenty of power or does the engine turn over very slow?

Batterys only last 2 years or so, depends on how often you ride the bike. (the less often you ride the quicker the battery will deteriate)

A mechanic should be happy to take a quick look at it and tell you if the battery has had it. About $90 for a new one.
  5. Jmuzz is right if its struggling to turn over its you battery. If its idling badly when you turn the beams on it could be a problem with you alternator system, not sure what its called on bikes... voltage reg? Hows the bike run generally, perhaps your plugs are fouled up or leads are faulty.

6. yep, mag's got it in one, I think, get an auto electrician or your bike dealer to check the voltage regulator. It should be putting about 14.1 volts into the battery at idle. If it's not, then the bike is taking more out than is going in, result, slowly flattening battery.
    They're not cheap, but you can't live without them, so get it fixed, and you may well not have replace the battery.
  7. Is it a Sealed (MF) battery?

If so, then you cant test it with a hygrometer.
    If not, get it tested with a hygrometer, don't those auto places offer free battery testing or something?

Best to get the electrics tested by someone in the know, it may be one or a combination of many things.

The NSR would only use a small battery that you can pick up from many outlets. ~$90 as already mentioned