Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best way to fall off a bike.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by haikii, May 25, 2009.

1. I went for my p's the other day. I got them although before it was my turn for my exam a dude had a stack, skidded and im pretty sure his helmet was cracked. That just made me pack the bricks in.. but it got me thinking, god forbid i ever fall off my bike, what would the best way to? and whats the best thing to do while skidding across? roll? or..

2. You're going to have to ask one of our resident experts.... Nibor? :grin:
  3. Rolling hurts. Much better to slide along.

For some reason you seem to have so much time when you come off, I remember thinking about 4-5 things when I was sliding along the ground.
  4. why did that not surprise me? :p
    best way to crash is lowside, if you have to crash, i think. assuming you are cornering anyway. means you are actually still trying in the corner, just lost grip or something.

bailing, standing up on the brakes is a BAD idea, i speak from experience. you have barely half a second of braking when you bail, not nearly enough to drop speed by maybe 10-20km, so if you're doing 80 to start, its still gonna hurt. then you have to worry about a direct impact to a tree or fence or something.

lowside on the other hand, means you are trying, it might work so give it a go, most of the time it will pull out fine, you'd be surprised what your bike can do. if not, then both you and the bike have little distance to fall to the ground, reducing vertical impact angle, hopefully reducing injuries. also the friction will reduce speed quite alot, obviously brakes will work better on the bitumen, but i reckon a large body surface area will slow down faster than brakes locked up on the gravel/dirt.

and go limp. stiffen up, and you will probably begin to roll or tumble. if you can, slide on your back, usually no zips or anything that can wear through. i reckon i can almost steer myself a bit when sliding. probably not :LOL: tumbling like i did last weekend, is a bit rougher on the body. sore neck from doing backwards tumble rolls and such hahaha. that was a tankslapper into highside. sounds like a technical manouvre eh? :p

i also have a habit of keeping my head up when sliding/lowsiding. comes in handy if you can avoid damaging the helmet, as they can be quite expensive. also any knock to the head isnt good. wasnt enjoyable answering the same questions over and over again when a friend crashed, was concussed and had short term memory loss for the rest of the evening. really worried/freaked me out actually.

sums it up basically. lowside into a slide, if you have to crash...

:LOL: last lowside, i had time from the moment i knew i'd lost all traction to the moment i touched the road, to think 'f*ck, why the hell am i riding like this in conditions likes these, i really am an idiot' :LOL:
  5. Have you thought of NOT crashing
    I find this a very helpful alternative :shock:
  6. :LOL: Loz
    Hey Robin, seriously, do you recommend staying with the bike or kicking her away when lowsiding?
  7. The only reason to stay with the bike is for a quick get away when you come to a stop, i.e. low speed corner whilst racing. Keep the clutch in, then stand it up quick before it dies from the usual tip-over sensor.

When I do a regular lowside I ride it to the ground, you would be surprised how far gone it can be and still be saved. Plus, I don't like the thought of losing fingers/smashing my hands between bar ends and bitumen. After that, eject. A sliding bike takes longer to slow down than a person, and it might grip and flip, pirouette and smack you one, or generally just fcuk you up.

I haven't done enough highsides to know if I've got a routine. Each one is special in its own way. I think the key is not sticking your arms out or stiffening up, but I won't claim to conciously do anything, very much a passenger. And unfortunately, the bike is sometimes hot on your tail once you come back to earth. Very ouch.
  8. Naked and into the hot tub at the playboy mansion, every other way sucks.
  9. imo vinnie i want 180kg of metal as far from me as possible......once it's gone get rid of the thing, mates will help you pick it up from the ditch, down the side of the hill or up ontop of a hill or embankment...
  10. what he said :] last thing you want is to still be 'sitting on it' sideways, so the road is the cheese grater, and the bike is a giant hand grating you at 100km/h or so.

without leathers/decent boots, im pretty sure any jeans even riding jeans, and sneakers etc will just disintegrate pretty quickly, leaving your leg a mess. last post i heard about a rider caught sliding under was thanking they had decent boots on, as these were so close to worn through its not funny, so imagine if it was just sneakers :shock:

and yeah the bike has always slid further than me unless it hits an object to stop it, as it carries a larger momentum.
  11. PO...You are making a giant assumption in all of this crash stuff...That you might have a choice on which way you crash.
    usually you won't...and you will go down the road without any real choice of how or where. (assuming you don't come to a sudden stop first).

Once you leave the bike, you are no longer in control...many have given you good insights into the types of crashes that can hurt less or might be preferable, but my advice would be to dress for the worst...

Most of us will instinctively put our hands out, and usually end up impacting one or more of our joints - knees, elbows etc.....protect them. and hope you stop sliding/tumbling, soon!... :)

(given the choice, I have always tried to role onto my back and used my arms to stabilize myself...but that's if I have been lucky enough to be sliding... instead of bouncing or tumbling)

12. Well I do dress for the worst, although just incase i mean if i ever do find myself falling off i want to mentally prepare myself on how to react. I mean you do the best of the situation. Id rather know then not know and when it happens ill be like crap what now and put my hands out or go for a roll.

quik blat - Just preparing for the worst, its same as riding with protective gear. Its not like i plan to fall.

Thanks nibor good posts.
  13. If you've got any time to think at all, just dont throw your hands out. Ribs and collar bones heal nicer than wrists.
  14. :WStupid:
    At least try anyway.
  15. If you are in the air, tuck and roll while staying loose. If you need to practice this to train your unconscious reaction, get a trampoline and use it.

If you are on the ground, lie flat on your back and slide. Do not, ever, try to get up until everything around you has stopped moving for some time. (Unless of course something like a following car is about to hit you.) Standing up while sliding is a major cause of injuries after hitting the deck.

I learnt this early in life as a water skier, where it changed hard hitting spills into relatively gentle slides skimming along the water on my back. Water feels like concrete at over 30 mph. Any time I didn't tuck, the fall turned into a series of hard hits resulted in me being winded or straining all sorts of bits of my body. If I did tuck as soon as I was in the air, I could easily land on my back and slow gently while skimming the water like a stone.
  16. Prepareing for the worst is a great idea i'm not suggesting that you ignore all options.
    What concerns me is the prevalent attitude that as a bike rider we must fall off and here is how to do it. Plan not to fall off with looking forward and arond thinking ahead and having room to move.
    I would love to see a positive attitude to rideing. I know it starts at the licenseing and it is important to know the risks but what you think you usually do.
    I know a few pushie riders and they seem unaware of a lot of the risks they face (probably why they wear saftey lycra) a lot of them are not experienceing the same negativity to there mode of transport that we do.
    and I am talking about the commuteing speeds here not 100+ :p
    You cant prepare FOR an accident you can prepare to avoid one.
  17. I remember Steve at CSBS telling us that if you've got enough time to plan all these moves, you had enough time to avoid the accident in the first place.

Having come off at a decent speed, I can tell you that self preservation kicks in. I was on my back sliding at 100kmh, but when I got up I had really sore hands, sore knees and every point on my jacket had hit the deck, if only briefly (and I had no recollection of either, it happened so quick).

The only people who do the tuck and slide are those who crash regularly and/or racers.

Robin, what happened last weekend?
  18. Unfortunatly had a prang last week, pretty low speed deal <50ks however it involved another car that I unfortunatly became the meat in the sandwhich with...

After I was 'ejected' I found I naturally rolled and tucked my arms in so it was kinda a smooth roll if that makes sense. If you put your arms out in front of you and grab your forearms, thats what it was like.

Worked well, didn't damage any of my gear, which Im pretty happy about.
  19. I fell off my pushbike at 70km/h speeding downhill in a 50 zone (yes i learnt from it). I was wearing a bike helmet and gloves, t-shirt, shorts and running shoes. I guess it was a highside and i tucked my arms in and rolled down the asphalt. Epic grazes on my face, elbows, hips, knees. I would not have wanted to slid on my back in this situation. Otherwise i woulda came out much worse. So a tuck and roll worked well.

I'm yet to fall off my motorbike, but i'm in two minds as for whether to tuck n roll or slide on my back. However, I presume if (or when) i crash, i won't have much say in the way it turns out.
  20. Regardless of your experience falling off a bicycle, a tuck & roll is the
    worst way to fall.

Previous posts provide correct advice.

Sliding on the road will quickly wear through even the best riding gear,
    but it will slow you down. Flying through the air will probably mean hitting
    a solid object (such as the ground or some other fixed object).

Tumbling will slow you down but at the expense of your elbows, knees,
    ankles, feet, legs, arms, head, and neck.