Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best Way To Clean Oil Off My Bike

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Kbatt, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Had a bit of a spud moment and neglected to replace my oil cover cap this morning as I topped up on the liquid. (I'm already questioning my own intelligence so please go easy.)

The even more stupid thing was though, that I didn't notice anything was wrong until a good few Km's down the road when I had to brake a little sharply and the oil spilt out onto my exhaust and the whole thing started smoking as well as coating my right leg.

Pulled over onto the side of the road and walked back home to find the bollocking cap but obviously now I've got to head back and pick the bike up. I'm going to take some stuff to clean it and get it home, but obviously there's a bit of oil on my brakes and that's never a good thing.

What are the best products and techniques to get her clean and safe again.

*It's a little VTR250, If that makes a difference.
  2. Mate, duck down to Supercheap or watever and pick yourself up a spraycan of Brake and parts cleaner....... I use this one.

Give your calipers/pads ect a liberal spray of the stuff, it aint gunna hurt..... just dont go spraying fukkin' everything in sight with it ok :0
    While you're down there at the shop, maybe pick up a can of degreaser as well to spray the other areas around your swingarm, sump etc to get the worst of it off........
    You could leave both sit for several minutes then a good hose off......
    Then goive the beast a nice soapy wash and you should be ok... (wink)

..... and dont worry about the brake cleaner........ you'll use it again, and again if you've got any sense....... keeps your brakes clean and you can keep your bobbins on the discs clear of grot if you give them a spray every so often.......(helps the discs stay semi-floating as they should)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Fill a spray n write bottle with petrol and really soak it. Clean off with soapy water or a rich mixture of chemtech ct18.
  4. Buy an old triumph or harley, you'll be used to the oil in no time..