Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best view of the foot positioning

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by dima, Aug 16, 2013.

1. I reckon this is one of the best videos where it is easy to see how the rider's feet are positioned and being moved around.

Just posting it here as I've always wanted to see that and finally found it.
    Hope it'll be of any use.

Discuss please.

(P.S.: I believe it belongs to new riders tips, not multimedia, but because very much any post with video gets moved here I just had to post it here.)
  2. Stupid rookie questions:

But why do you see track riders hang one leg off on certain corners prior to tipping in? In the video above, it sounds like the abs was locking up or the rear was skipping out slightly.

2nd Rookie question:

People talk about trail braking on corners, where you are losing momentum and you need to keep the revs up and control it with adding some rear in. Is this even possible on corners of a track when they have their knee down? Or should they have the correct line/ speed and don't need to trail any corner. That being said should trail braking should only be applied to unknown corners where you don't have much lean angle?

Thanks in advance
  3. Trail braking is carrying braking past the tip in point. It's a delicate trade off thing - that as lean angle increases, braking force decreases. There should be no braking force at all at maximum or near maximum lean - all traction is given over to cornering and you should be at your ideal cornering speed. After this point, you're looking for an opportunity to get back on the gas as soon as you can.

What tends to happen though is novices and wannabe's make a hack of it and brake too hard to speeds well below ideal cornering speed due to charging corners which amps up SR's - this puts a lot of wear on the front tyre... they then accelerate heavily out of corners to make up for "lost time" which tears up their rear tyre.

On the road novices are suggested to follow the cornering 101 series in the rider tips area which is based on getting all your braking out of the way well before tip in... infact, it's not a bad way to ride and corner anyway... especially for your tyres and brake pads.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. The hang the leg off thing is interesting, they discussed it during the British Superbikes last week. They said some do it as a balance exercise, some do it as wind resistance - i.e slowing from high 100's mph anything helps. Basically there was no conclusive answer either way.
    I think when Rossi was asked why he did it (when he was winning) he said something along the lines of "I don't know, but i know why the others do it ;) "

Anyone else got any input?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rob's absolutely right.
    Trail braking on the track is a reasonably predictable affair for experienced riders, whether it be front or rear brakes.
    But on the road it can be perilous due to rough or changing surface types, as well as bumps etc that can bring it all undone.

I happen to do it with higher margins for error on corners that I am very familiar with on the open road...but I'm definitely not pushing it too much, and don't widely recommend it.
    The standard cornering method is more appropriate in the majority of situations.

I believe the unusual rev ranges you can here the bike going through are a combination of the riders down changes and the slipper clutch activating.
  6. The leg hanging off acts like an outrigger adding balance. If you watch the slow motion video of motogp riders who do it you will notice the bike moving under braking underneath them. This is sometimes significant movement. It's kind of like throwing your leg out on a dirt bike and pushing the bars down to steer. I know that's two different disciplines but. As for Rossi he really only started doing it after the bad leg break he had. I think it was more to reduce forward pressure on the tib/fib under braking.
  7. He would find it even easier if his toes pointed the same way as his knee. He is rolling his ankle out rather than in
  8. Just for clarification on what I mean

Attached Files:

9. This is another good camera angle mounted on the swing arm. Personally I don't move my foot back to the arch like the guy in the vid, I just keep my foot on the balls of my feet.